Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2012
This is the first P D James book I have read and to be honest bought it out of desperation whilst on holiday from a charity stall as I had forgotten my book, but once I started reading I couldn't put it down. James' descriptions are accurate and atmospheric allowing the reader to easily conjure an image and engross themselves in the story. She keeps you guessing right to the end with several characters in the running for murderer but all with a plausible motive rather than some such novels which once revealed seem far fetched and unbelievable. An excellent read, beautifully written and definitely not my last P D James novel.
on 17 August 2013
I'm a big fan of this author and, though I often find her works eerie and haunting, I can't help being drawn to them. This one did not disappoint. It explored interesting and thought-provoking characters and themes. I found the ending unsettling and memorable. Though I wanted a different ending, I cannot fault it and think it would have been a lesser book had it had a more conventional one.
on 22 October 2011
I picked this up in a second hand shop whilst waiting for a hair appointment. I'd never read anything by Pd before, and I was not sorry to give her a go. Excellently written book, a really good whodunnit. A change from my normal reading habits.
The first chapter sent a chill down my spine - thrilling!!
on 9 August 2014
My first PD James novel and what a disappointment. I'd read that she wrote excellent prose, really? I found the characters were wooden, little more than caricatures almost. And I'd guessed the murderer; very predictable too.
on 8 November 2011
A very detailed, descriptive read which places the reader right in the centre of the plot. As always, another classic from PD James, with enough twists and turns to keep you going until the final page.
on 12 December 2009
I'm a sucker for a murder mystery, so it's surprising that this was my first PD James. I was not disappointed. It kicks of in truly gripping fashion with a geniunely creepy murder and doesn't let up. There are clues and red herrings all over the place and the characters were all well defined, with good motives etc. The only downside was, though the ending was neat and tied everything up, it seemed really, really rushed. As if the author was galloping through the last 100 pages - in fact it was almost like a draft version towards the end. But other than that, really good, and I will certainly be buying more by PD James.
on 17 August 2014
Revisiting one of my favourite authors on the kindle. Just as good second time round and having visited Norfolk now, several times, makes the novel much more enjoyable.
on 11 June 2013
Having become a reader of PD James only in the last year, I enjoyed this almost as much as any I've read so far. Glad to say it is difficult to put down.
on 23 October 2014
Not enough of Dalgliesh! Wonderful setting, but writing a little pedestrian in places. Too long and one of the sub-plots is not particularly plausible.
on 6 October 2014
Great book I have paper copy and was delighted to find it on kindle , one of p d james best.love how she puts a story together and grips your attention