Customer reviews

W. H. Auden (Poems selected by John Fuller)
Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 November 2011
Away from home for a weekend, I bought it just for "Funeral Blues"; I could not find another edition in a small bookshop and, after we had seen "Four Weddings and a Funeral" in which this poem is read, I wanted a copy. It is always possible to criticise a selected works for the obvious reason and this slim volume with a diachronic selection and a minimalist stark white cover design is open to that criticism but not by me. It has exactly what I was looking for, it was cheap and, when I dippped into it, I discovered a whole selection of Auden's I enjoyed. "Musee des Beaux Arts", "O What is that Sound?", "England to me is My Own Tongue".

For just under £2.00, no-one should complain.
on 15 October 2009
A longitudinal slice of Auden's work might be the academic thing to do but the choice here fails to engage. A few more popular pieces would not have gone amiss. I guess the selection is OK for a student studying Auden but the book should have been aimed at a potentailly wider audience.
on 16 May 2016
Not a great fan of Auden and these choices seem dated with little explanation
on 14 July 2014