on 1 April 2018
The book was an eye opener for me. It made me rethink some of my stances on the sex industry, and the idea that it is innocuous and that the women in it are “liberated”(the idea of “agency” and “choice” in when there really isn’t any). It is a grim book, and it will anger you, but that’s good because that means you’ve been shaken out of complacency. We don’t realize just how pervasive sexism is until we notice the subtle ways that we conform to it, Day in and day out. This book makes you take note: from the moment we wake up and get ready for work, the sexist environment we live in impedes us. I like that the book ended on a positive note by sharing all the ways women and feminist groups are making headway in tackling sexism, debunking myths, and exposing the sex industry lobby. It’s a must read book!
on 30 October 2017
A lot of what Kat Banyard writes about in The Equality Illusion resonates and some people simply don't like that so go on the attack. The negative reviews are worth reading a long with the book, could make a full length book on their own. Read it and make your own mind up.
on 28 October 2013
Very well written, excellently referenced, a great section at the back on how to be pro-active in feminism today (including women's charities).

I have read many books on feminism and this one was easy to read as it is written extremely well, but a lot of the content is pretty harrowing in such a condensed form. (But that is what makes this book essential.)

It is structured, however, to end on a positive, pro-active and hopeful note.

Thanks to the author, its great to read such a fierce voice.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 February 2014
Give this book to your mother, sister, aunt, cousin and friend. Everyone needs to read this book, both male and female to open up their eyes on how gender (in)equality really is in a modern world.

Also, I have the kindle edition, and it is perfectly okay, haven't noticed any punctuation or sp mistakes.
on 11 July 2013
This is an excellent book about feminism and I would argue that it is the best I have read on the issue. I would recommend it to others who are also interested as it is coherent but also makes you think about things which you otherwise might not have thought about.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2016
I urge all mothers of daughters to read it and then make their daughter read it.
on 17 May 2014
Really interesting reading. Loved how it uses facts and figures rather than speculation. The interviews and layout of the book is great and highlights all the areas effecting women and men today. great read for men and women!
2 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2016
Very interesting book
on 17 February 2016
This is a great look of equality or rather the lack of it in society
on 28 May 2015
Excellent book. a must read.