on 8 January 2016
Some time ago, I set myself the long, pleasurable task of reading all Shakespeare's plays with the help of commentaries (mainly Arden) and the RSC DVDs. Not a quick read, but falling short of full academic study. I left the sonnets to the end (apart from Troilus which I think is unreadable and yet to be finished), so I was quite accustomed to the poet's language. Some of the criticisms here sound a bit high-minded, oblivious of the fact that readers coming to the sonnets for the first time do need help and shouldn't be ashamed of seeking it. The English language has changed over five centuries and even the ordering of Shakespeare's words can seem unfamiliar, confusing and obscure. I know that this book has many typos and similar. His jokey style either hits the target (one of his critiques around no. 130 had me in stitches) or it misfires badly, very often obscuring the very point which he is trying to make. I had to refer to my specialist dictionary to understand the more abstruse literary terms which Mr. Paterson applies to the text - he begins by explaining them and seems to lose interest as the book progresses. However, I suppose many readers come to the sonnets with the view that they will be all sweetness and light, lovey-dovey - and this they certainly are not (or mainly not). You need a book like the Arden commentary to understand what Shakespeare is saying, the verbal twists, the topical references - in other words, elucidation. But there's more to it than that. The poet was a highly sensitive human being and truly screwed up in his love life. The bitterness, jealousy, sense of inferiority, status-consciousness, guilt, self-reproach all come through strongly in the poems, and it is helpful to have someone to bring this together and 'humanise' the dry commentary. But there's more to it than that again. This is poetry. Although I wish he had done it more often, Mr. Paterson brings his own 'poet's ear' to the poetry, the language, its balance, the prosody and the strengths and weaknesses of each poem in expressing the sentiment which it carries. To me this has been invaluable. If he concentrated on that alone in a future volume, I would be happy.
One person found this helpful
on 19 February 2017
I'm greatly enjoying this commentary with its mixture of erudition, humour and 'with it' style. Paterson's notes make easy and informative reading. I had never tried before to take on a study of the whole collection of sonnets and quickly came to the conclusion that it is advisable to do so in small sessions. I confess that trying to plough on for any length of time made The Bard's repetitive themes, for me, tedious approaching boring. That is my problem not Don Patterson's, I'd recommend this study to anyone wishing to investigate the sonnets.
on 12 October 2012
This book appeals to me as the author gives not only his expertise on construction of and language used in the sonnets, but also gives his personal response to them. Bitesize for adults and, for me,a good introduction to the sonnets without buying an academic tome that would probably give me too much information for an introduction and even take away my initial response to them. Download the sample if you have a kindle and read the author's reason for writing this book if you are interested.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2018
I have written to Prof Paterson about his misunderstandings but have not had a reply!!
on 26 January 2013
This is an educated and erudite book about William Shakespeare's famous love sonnets. Paterson, a distinguished poet himself, shows us in common language and with little pretence the art that Shakespeare employed in his vivid descriptions of his passions for a man and a woman. It's an essential aid to reaching the goal of a real understanding of the sonnets and to poetry more generally.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 June 2012
This is a wonderful book and will make you actually READ the Sonnets. It's engaging, funny, wise, and a real service to literature. Just what we needed! I have a sneaking feeling that WS would have liked it!
2 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2011
For those unfamiliar with Shakespeare's sonnets, this is an easy-to-read, common-sensible introduction - a great place to start; but remember it is a personal view. If you are familiar with the text and with the usual lit. crit., you will find this idiosyncratic, fresh, and readable as a novel.
After he has said of Vendler's 'The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets', `Her book is a supreme example of the kind of book there should be more of', he adds, `I'm having my copy rubberised so I can catch it again after I've thrown it at the wall.' I feel exactly the same way about his book: there ought to be more like it and sometimes I want to throw it at the wall. If you love Shakespeare, this is a book to which you will not be indifferent.
I did not buy this book earlier because it was criticised for missing objectives that, I now know, Paterson did not have. Did the critics read the Introduction? There, Paterson sets out clearly his purpose. He distinguishes between `secondary reading' (more or less, serious literary criticism) and `primary reading' (more or less, responding directly to what a poem says). He gives as his aim, `to show [the sonnets] as poems still capable of inviting and rewarding the kind of primary reading I've described, and this is what this book sets out to do.' And his book does that superbly.
Paterson's great strength is in being a poet himself and saying, with some authority, things outside the normal range of critical comment, things like `[so-and-so] rather takes it all at face value - as do most other commentators, forgetting that poets often just tell folk what they think they want to hear, themselves included.' It's about time somebody said things like that. And he says many things like that in the book.
No faults? For me, only two irritations. Except for the famous and crucial ones, I do not remember the sonnets by their numbers and I would have liked an index of first lines. And an index to the commentary would be useful so that you can find the interesting bits, like `where did Paterson discuss rime riche?' He discusses a lot of interesting things in the commentary but finding them is hell. Perhaps he omitted indexes to keep away from even a semblance of heavy lit. crit.
This is a book where you can hear the writer's voice come through, and he's talking sense.
42 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 March 2011
A fan of Shakespeare's Sonnets for as long as I can remember reading, I, like Don Paterson, still do not know them as well as I'd like to think - and, like Don Paterson, have been caught out in a bluff or two in academic circles accordingly! Reading this book has helped me readjust my thinking as well as improving my knowledge.

This is an individualistic view of the Sonnets from an academic and a poet. Paterson has taken each of the 154 Sonnets in turn and written a Reaction Piece on each: not a critique as such, but an informed individual's response written in one sitting, effectively. The learning which has informed the reaction is always interesting, and if the style at times is a little too colloquial to make easy the transition between Shakespeare's verse (each Sonnet is printed before the response) and Don Paterson's prose, at least this reinforces the dialogue which Paterson is building between writer and reader. It also helps to break down the false reverence for "The Bard", something that can come between a real relationship with the work itself.

I also like the way that Paterson looks at the Sonnets as works of craft as well as of art: the poet pulling together complex emotions into a standard sonnet form, at times it seems hammering language and emotion into a shape that works.

I don't agree with a lot of what Paterson says (well, actually I agree with much, but it's the disagreements that stand out - for example his reaction to Sonnet 144!) but that only makes the text more engaging, and actually helped to sharpen up my own critical response. It's also spurred me to learn by heart more of the Sonnets, and (re)introduced me to some that I MUST have read but had no recollection of whatsoever!

Perhaps my final comment to show how good this book is: I lent it to a colleague two weeks ago, and she refuses to give it back!
15 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2014
This was, without a doubt, one of the most readable and insightful commentaries that I have ever encountered . Don Paterson's knowledge and enthusiasm for his subject combined with a style that both informed and challenged made this commentary a joy to read. The subjective nature of the reader's response is constantly tested by the author's personal and highly original interpretations of what is, after all, a thoroughly researched area of study .
I found this commentary informative, stimulating, challenging and enjoyable in equal measures.
Highly recommended. MH