Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2012
Stav Sherez has produced a crime fiction marvel; a most incredible way with words.

Where other crime writers may stop at the typical boundaries, Sherez pushes them. Venturing into the currently relevant Ugandan politics, Sherez introduces an evil protagonist, leaving his victims mauled and bloodied in a distinctive signature mark. Can Jack Carrigan shake off his own personal connections to the situation and focus on tracking the killer before more end up dead? With the Foreign Office breathing down his neck and DS Miller watching him closely, will they be able to solve the true motive for the murder or will he get thrown from the case?

It is a fantastic, swiftly paced story written in a refreshingly descriptive manner which enlightens every sense and creates a deeper level of understanding of the characters, painting a picture from their own mental pains and frustrations to their own character afflictions.

Definitely worth a read and I will definitely be delving into other books from his collection.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2014
Having not read anything else by Sherez I was looking forward to starting the first in the Carrigan and Miller series. Also knowing that there has only been one follow up to date (Eleven Days published in 2103) I know I’m not too far behind. The pairing of the unlikely two lead characters works extremely well given their backgrounds and personal history. It took me quite a few chapters to really get under the skin of Jack Carrigan but I really liked this weirdly private and quirky bloke. Except as the story progresses you realise that quirkiness is just his defence mechanism to not allow people to delve too close. On the opposite side, Geneva Miller is clawing her way back after a demotion and is finding it hard trying to keep both sides of the fence happy. I warmed to Geneva more than Jack but by the end of the book I couldn’t imagine either of them working with anybody else.

Characters aside the story was quite something. Taking us through war ravaged countries and then being dragged to the present murder that has taken place in London of a young female Ugandan Student. Sherez clearly has the knowledge and maybe experience in managing to write about this subject with such conviction. There were parts that had my stomach turning; but in the back of my mind the brutal reminder that although this is a work of fiction, the history of some of these countries is shockingly real. There are plenty of twists in this complex book and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. This is most certainly a series which I will be continuing and would definitely put it on the recommended list.
on 31 May 2015
This is an exceptionally gripping and atmospheric crime novel populated with intriguing characters. I am a Londoner and found the author’s portrayal of the city I know both vivid and thought provoking while the Ugandan elements of the story are fascinating. I couldn’t put it down and hope there are more Carrigan and Miller books to come.
on 28 May 2017
It was OK. A bit formulaic with the novelty being the African connection. These bits are quite good but the Carrigan character is not that convincing.
on 22 June 2017
Dark redemption good read
on 29 July 2013
This had me right from the first chapter.pulling me further and further in. Never would have guessed the ending .both books i have. Read have been amazing
on 4 August 2017
Very good - I will read more of his
I do love it when I discover a book that gets me "in at the start" of something great so I must thank author Chris Ewan for recommending this to me. Its a dark tale to be sure, but its far from standard Crime fiction. The character of Jack Carrigan is very well drawn, with just enough mystery about him to keep you enthralled without resorting to cliche. Miller is an excellent "opposite" and these two, as much as the mystery itself, are what makes this book compelling. I don't really want to say much about the plot - its terrific but it is one of those times that the less you know in advance, the greater enjoyment you will get out of the novel. If you love Crime fiction, but don't want to feel that you've read it all before, this is the book for you. I look forward greatly to the next in this series and in the meantime I will be reading everything else this author has written.
on 25 June 2012
Best thriller I've read for a long time. Engaging protagonists and a highly relevant story line revolving around the Lord's Resistance Army in northern Uganda, and how the effects of such outrages can make themselves felt here. Highly recommended.
on 2 July 2014
This book is a bit on the gory side for me - a lot of graphic detail of extreme violence. Having said that, the plot is interesting and involving and the writing lively. It harps on a bit about Carrigan's coffee addiction - we kinda get that in the first few chapters. The main characters - D I Carrigan and D S Miller are well drawn. I read the book in a couple of sittings. Will probably try 'Eleven Days' which is currently shortlisted for the 2014 Theakston's Crime Prize.