on 4 February 2013
A wannabe writer, Jason, stalks his role model, a 'published' crime writer, Kitty, to Greece, hoping to hook up with her and have her read his book. He meets and becomes involved with some undesirable drug dealers and pushers when he arrives on the island and pours his heart out to them. There is an undercurrent of uncertainty over whether they will drop him in it with her. Her first introduction to the island is finding no taxi, having to walk through the dark streets to a hotel and being mugged and then rescued by him.

Kitty and Jason grow close through an unfolding story of a copycat murder on the island from years before. There are centipedes stuffed in mutilated bodies, a mysterious cult in the mountains and an underground labyrinth and disappearing priests. This is a very dark story indeed.

I found it difficult to like any of the protagonists, although Stav Sherez managed somehow to turn Jason, the stalker into a more sympathetic character through the course of the book (not an easy switch really). He also revitalised the worn out writer that Kitty had been by making her into a 'real life' investigator of the mystery of the black monastery. But I was disappointed in the rather depressed detective Nikos, who was investigating the crimes but given the hidden secret of his wife, it is not too surprising that he was depressed.
on 29 November 2012
I read The Black Monastery after I'd finished the author's more recent novel A Dark Redemption, a path that I imagine many others will follow as Carrigan and Miller's fan base expands. There are a great many similarities between the two books, notably each has a senior police officer with a dark secret in their past and each has a plot twist requiring the characters to make a choice between two paths/trails.
The story involves our two amateur sleuths, Kitty and Jason meeting on the sunny Greek island of Palasso, a tourist trap filled with drugs and discos' where once there was fishing and farming. A series of deaths, both recent and historic confuse both the police and our heroes, who are incredibly smart and incredibly stupid by turns.
The story does tend to become fragmented at times with chunks of text with limited relevance, however for the most part it is a gripping tale. I thought that by two-thirds of the way in I pretty much had the mystery cracked but I reckoned without the Sherez multiple twists in the tale!
Certainly The Black Monastery is well worth the read and I rather hope that Amazon will issue the rest of his novels as e-books or I may have to resort to buying them on paper!
6 people found this helpful
on 2 April 2017
Enjoyable and surprising at times. When I predicted something would happen it didn't always which was pleasant. I liked the setting and suspense. Loved some of the more developed characters. Also liked the fact that the ending wasn't really happy nor really sad, just made you think "I wonder what will happen to them?".
One person found this helpful
on 29 November 2017
Disappointing.
on 29 September 2012
This was a gripping story- with a really good twist. Something a little bit different and dark. The characters were realistic and you could get to know them.
4 people found this helpful
on 26 October 2013
Different from his other books that I have read and it took me a little while to get into the story but once I did I couldn't put it down.
on 18 October 2013
Don't miss it. Fabulous wordsmith.An unusual and interesting plot. A very exciting new author. Read it in a couple of days.
on 21 January 2014
This who done it kept me guessing until the end. The setting was a lovely distraction. I would recommend this book
2 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2014
An unusual and quite bloodthirsty story - without the traditional happy ending for a change. The story, to me, was quite feasible, and of particular interest as I live in Greec.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2012
bought this as a have handy book in my kindle collection and was pleasantly surprised well wourth a read will also look for other book,s by this author