Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 July 2015
The Midas box was a well writen and enjoyable book!
The characters are great and likeable and the settings and atmospheres really keep you engaged in the times.
The sequel is lightly better but we would not have it without the Midas box!
on 1 March 2008
A terrific read, fast paced and gripping. Much easier on the eye than some or GPs earlier work, but still retaining the ability to magicaly transport the reader through the eyes of Mariah from dim and smoky railway carriages to the grand and spooky goings on at the Steam Powered Prince Regent Hotel. Fearsome Monsters and Heros a plenty and all thoroughly believable. This is a grand romp of a book, worth reading twice and at the very least you might find out where to be served plates of deliciuos golden fish & chips served with steaming pots of Yorkshire tea.
on 11 July 2013
My order arrived promptly and in excellent condition. The story was interesting and exciting!! Characters were very well drawn. This book appeals to people of all ages. I now intend to order and read the other 2 books. Now looking forward to the film which I am sure will be a great success.
on 14 June 2013
One of the best books I have ever read!Funny, but still mysterious- an intruiging mystery with many layers written in a very unique style. It is a very unusual book- there isn't another one like it- and definitely worth reading.
on 25 January 2014
There are so many faults within this book; I am almost at a loss as to where I should start in describing them. The plot is meandering and senseless, the descriptions are weak and poorly strung together, and the language awkward and repetitive (the word "chunter" is used six or seven times, as though the author wants to use a rarefied word but doesn't know another intransitive verb).

Mariah's character is a total blank... you don't know his likes or dislikes, because he and the other characters are merely puppets that serve as the locus of the plot. The loose ends are not satisfactorily tied up and the magical aspects of the book don't always make sense (what is the point of a deck of cards that tells the future, but doesn't always show the real future? Surely that means you still don't know the future?).

I am quite literally livid, thinking about this book, which I forced myself to finish so I could judge it fairly. Fortunately, I got it for free from the Healthy Planet Charity... I should have known I was in for a rough ride because I'd seen the Mariah Mundi books in dozens of discount bins before getting my copy. There is a film adaptation of the MM: The Midas Box coming out, but from the looks of the trailer is already markedly different from the incomprehensible novel (you could not POSSIBLY adapt the original, warped storyline). My advice, if a friend gives you this book? Read Harry Potter or Charmed Life and send this straight to the second-hand shop.
on 8 October 2008
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events No.1)

I'm 17 and i haven't been wowed by such original and creative literature for youths since i discovered lemony snicket and spiderwick chronicles (before all the hoop la btw thankyou very much) i thuroughly enjoyed this book it kept me hooked all the way through i really loved all the quirky characters and perilous situations i even found myself holding my breath at one point for mariah and sacha

a gripping read straight through honestly you'll love it
5 stars

i recently found out there's a second one and i bought it straight away
looking forward to it.

GP Taylor nice one :)
on 27 March 2012
I found Mariah Mundi by chance and I'm so glad I did! It is a gripping novel with moments to make you laugh and moments to make you, well not cry but, I think, worry for Mariah and Sacha as they explore and uncover the secrets of The Prince Regent.

I, personaly, love the character of Mariahs freind and fellow employe, Sacha. She is a fisty reble who is, as I proceve it, always up for a laugh and adventure.

It is a fast paced novel with plenty of twists and turns. All though it has been labled the next "Harry Potter" i am not so sure, they are very diffrent books (agine in my opinion)they are both great.

Overall 4 stars!
on 22 January 2009
Shadowmancer by G P Taylor was my first introduction to this author, and that was a fantastically original read. So I came to Mariah Mundi, seeing the premise for the book about a boy trainig to be a magician, with some high expectations. It did seem like the plot resembled Harry Potter slightly, and thus leant weight to the oft-repeated claim that G P Taylor is 'the next J K Rowling.' It started really well, and the author's ability to paint a picture is amazing. Its very atmospheric, with the train station and the Prince Regent described in wonderul ways. So that sets you up for a good story. However, I felt the plot lacked order and continuity. You are told Mariah is studying to be a magician, and this is placed (seemingly) as the central plot focus of the book, yet I didn't really feel it stayed with it. The plot hurtled off in completely another direction, leaving you wondering if that bit about training to be a magician will ever happen. The desccription sometimes lags a bit, although more atmospheric locations are introduced which is good. I counted about 7 typo's, and got as lost as Mariah did in the labyrinthe's of the caves. I felt the structure of the book was rushed, and I think many younger readers will find it difficult at times to understand or follow it closely. However, the ending (or at least a plot line that emerges to carry Mariah through further books) was extremely satisfactory. In fact, I was quietly hoping for it, since it does indeed reminisce of Harry Potter and (without giving anything away) expands on something that is lost after the Harry Potter series finished. Any Harry Potter reader will understand what I mean (*the badge*) and will agree that it sets the whole series up well for more adventures. Overall, its a pretty good read. Perhaps rushed? but no doubt a sterling book from a great British author.
on 10 July 2015
I really enjoy this author and have read most of his books. He is different from the norm and I enjoy this aspect of his writing.
on 17 January 2015
Arrived on time and as described