Customer reviews

A Fine Balance
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2017
This was a purchase as a gift for a friend. I told him in the accompanying message that it was one of the best books I had ever read. The vivid writing brings to life the India of the '70's under Indira Gandhi; the human tragedies that spilled out from her State of Emergency are recounted in all their horror and yet with dry humour and biting satire. The everyday corruption and greed that characterises Indian life is also laid bare. But it is not just a political pamphlet; the author writes warmly about his characters so that we can feel sympathy even for the bailiff or the beggar-master. It is not a book for the faint-hearted, but it is a book with a big heart.
on 10 September 2017
Beautifully written and quite topical (as its about post partition India) but a very depressing tale full of poverty and misery. A few brief spells of happiness for the characters but they are pretty short lived. It gives interesting insight into India after partition during the Emergency, the caste system and what it was like to live as a poor, lower caste person. I assume it was well researched and is fairly accurate. My friend loved it and highly recommended it but its too depressing for me.
on 22 March 2017
Didn't realise when I purchased this book I had read it before. However I enjoyed reading it as much the second time as the first. I think it will strike a chord with anyone who has been to India. This author has the ability to make the characters and surroundings come alive. A jolly good read
on 6 September 2017
If you know India at all this is a wonderful book.
You are taken to India with all its good and bad points ..... vivid descriptions, four wonderful main characters and colours you can easily imagine. When it first arrived I couldn't believe I would read every page but I did .... and I loved it!
on 26 June 2017
This book takes you on a journey with the characters who all come from different backgrounds. They way their lives entwine and their relationships grow is beautiful. The challenges they face are heart breaking and helps you to appreciate the unfairness of their lives and others who still live these lives today.
on 22 August 2017
A remarkable moving read. Very engrossing atmospheric and evocative. A mixture of humour and pathos; how can humankind treat others less fortunate than themselves so badly? Don't be put off by its length; the book flows so well and I just had to keep turning the pages.
on 26 June 2017
A poignant well observed book, a well crafted glimpse Ito another world, I laughed and cried, marvellous
on 9 July 2017
Great read
on 7 August 2017
A fantastic story of intellectual and emotional breadth and depth - cleverly depicting the uncomfortable relaities of Indian life through the eys of 4 main protagonists - harrowing but unforgettable.
on 30 September 2017
This is an uncomfortable read; what these characters endure is far beyond my own experience. At times I had to take a break as I found it hard to comprehend that level of human cruelty.
I believed every character.