Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 July 2014
This is a book about transitions. Set in Bombay in 1971, the Indian Sub-Continent is again sub-dividing with the creation of Bangladesh amidst the fall-out of India and Pakistan going to war with each other. There are battles going on too, in the life of our central character, Gustad Noble, whose children are growing up and growing away, as he becomes increasingly aware of his own generation's transition towards the dying of the light. As a Parsi bank worker, Gustad is a perfect vehicle for exploring India's complex pluralist theologies and the emergence of the new middle classes. Whilst Gustad never questions his religion, his faith in family, friends and mankind in general is tested throughout this journey. There are resonances and lessons here that stretch out universally beyond India, and will movingly touch all of us who are flawed fathers trying to make the best of our obligations, noble or other wise.
on 25 July 2014
Fabulous book, selected by someone for our book club, it introduced a new author to most of us.
The book was well written, interesting characters and plot, lots of intrigue and very typical of how particularly older Indians love to talk.
A great insight into city life in India. A group of six, five read it all, four loved it and we talked about for four hours.
on 9 September 2014
Having read A Fine Balance, my expectations of this book were very high. Too high. I do not think this was anything like as good. Nevertheless still very readable.
on 19 March 2017
I have loved every Rohinton Mistry book I have read.
on 13 November 2002
Though lacking the dramatic power and the pessimistic philosophy of his later masterpiece 'A fine balance', 'Such a long journey' is a wonderful, extremely compassionate account of a family's struggle to maintain unity and moral integrity in the face of extraordinary circumstances: both external (the Emergency) and internal (father-son conflicts, disease etc.).
The political agenda in this novel is much reduced compared to Mistry's later work, and that perhaps renders 'Such a long journey' a less pressing and controversial book, removing some of the urgency and the vigour to concentrate instead on a very human (and universal) 'journey', which eventually leads to a very human (and universal) catharsis.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I rate it as highly as 'A fine balance' and perhaps higher that the latest, somewhat disappointing (to me!) 'Family matters'.
on 28 December 2012
"Tales from Firozabag" was entertaining and a plausible story. I have read a fine balance and another one too. This book did not compare. The writing is as usual fine - but the storyline this time was too far fetched.
on 26 April 2014
I could not understand all the hype about this book. I could relate to it being an Indian but the book is boring. I somehow manged to complete it with great difficulty. Read this only if you have nothing useful to do in your life.
on 26 January 2012
Having read 'A Fine Balance' a fair while ago and still talking about it today as the best book I've ever read, I was very excited to see another book by the same author. This was magnified by the fact that my delightful Dad had just bought me a Kindle for Christmas and I could enjoy the book on this marvel of modern technology!

Now then... about the book! It's incredibly well written, possibly too well for me as I had to look up the meaning of a huge number of words; I thought my English was pretty spot on 'til I read this book! On top of this there's smatterings of Hindi which adds to the atmosphere being set but was often incomprehensible to me despite having travelled all over India. However, there was never a point where I didn't know what was going on and it barely detracted from my enjoyment of the book. The characters and scenes are incredibly well described; this seems to be Mr Mistry's true forte. The personalities, opinions and attitudes portrayed in this book are very typical of Indian society. The story line was good, perhaps a little slow moving for me. It feels rude to take anything away from this book but I think 'A Fine Balance' was a much more interesting and powerful story; no book has ever clawed at my emotions so effectively. If you're only going to read one of Mr Mistry's books I'd recommend you read that one.

Thanks for giving me so many hours of entertainment.
on 23 September 2015
Sadly found this acclaimed novel rather tedious, shame as I enjoyed many of his other books. Unlikeable characters and felt sorry for his wife and kids.
on 22 October 2015