Customer reviews

Waiting for Godot: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2016
This edition is great in terms of introductory critical writings on the play. There are great illustrations of the play in action throughout the pages.
on 4 December 2013
Although described it was very good, this was perfect, no signs of reading, no scratched spine, just an autograph at the front! Very pleased!
on 7 March 2014
Brilliant book, I love the story and characters. Its in great condition and is everything I expected and more for such a cheap price.
on 7 April 2014
Ideal portable size for study, and a great read.Would definitely recommend this Beckett play, enough to make me want to see it live.
on 10 June 2012
There is no information that this publication of Waiting for Godot has all the notes in German which makes it more than useless for an English speaker.I think that it is extremely bad that it is not mentioned in the product information.
on 24 January 2011
A lot of people seem to have reviewed the book rather than the product. The book is quite good to be fair which is saying something considering I only bought it for coursework at University.
Always read the information on the pages. What I didn't realise when I purchased this book is that although cheap, it's smaller than my wallet. Not good for people with dwindling eyesight. I now carry my magnifier around when I need to read this book. However for university it is brilliant because it means less weight in my bag. I await the day every book in existence is released on the kindle app.
on 5 September 2016
Why have I never read the book before now?
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 March 2003
Waiting For Godot is certainly an interesting and unique drama. The sparse presentation and sense of hopelessness underlying this tragicomedy appeals to the existentialist in me, but I was not moved or stimulated enough to grant this work five stars. I daresay that the effect of Waiting For Godot is much more impactful and effective when performed on stage than it is when read, particularly in terms of the lyrical dialogue that often comes to the fore. To a large degree, this is a play about nothingness (which is quite different from a play about nothing), so I find it rather strange that it is hailed as one of the greatest dramas of the 20th century. This kind of thing usually suits my tastes but few others’. There’s no fantabulous show designed to bedazzle the ideas of the spectator, just a country road and a tree set during the evening hours. The cast numbers five individuals: the two unfortunates Estragon and Vladimir, Pozzo and his “slave” Lucky, and a little boy (possibly, in the context of the play, two little boys who may or may not look exactly alike). Estragon and Vladimir spend their time examining their hats, worrying with their boots, thinking about separating or just hanging themselves to be done with it all, and of course waiting for Godot. I don’t want to ruin this for anyone, but you never meet or find out if this mysterious Godot even exists. Some critical thinkers (along with a few of your basic pseudo-intellectual crackpots) seem compelled to interpret Godot as a God-figure, but I see no reason to make that speculative leap.
Estragon and Godot really have no sense of who, where, and when they are, as becomes clear in their interactions with the wealthy passerby Pozzo and Lucky, his personal servant who is as much a trained mule as he is a man. Lucky can “think,” though, and you’d better grab a seat and hold on when he gets started. After the first night comes, Estragon and Vladimir return to the same spot to once again wait on Godot, and once again Pozzo, now suddenly blind, and Lucky return. No one seems to remember anything much about the others or of the previous day with the exception of Vladimir, and the interaction between the four major characters certainly introduces some comedy, albeit of a tragic, resigned sort. The comedy actually makes the drama more tragic, so its classification as a tragicomedy in two acts is pretty apt. I don’t see a lot of hope revealed here, although others seem to. Life is simply meaningless is the message I get most clearly out of it, so the only hope I perceive comes in the form of waiting for something that may or may not happen while doing nothing yourself to make anything happen. We are all waiting for something, I suppose, but such a vivid portrayal of the utter futility of such behavior strikes me as more depressing than inspiring. This drama really deserves multiple reads in order for its true essence to work its way closer to the surface; it may well be, I freely admit, that I have yet to spot whatever essence the play intends to reveal to me. I won’t deny Waiting For Godot is a landmark drama, and I fear this review has done it very little justice, but I consider the act of writing it a victory of sorts over the useless practice of waiting for Godot to come and explain everything to me and take care of all my questions and troubles.
on 29 January 2016
Brilliant service! 10/10
on 24 January 2013
To begin with, this play was such a drag. Nothing happens, and we all complained that it would prove impossible to analyse a play in which nothing happens. However, you soon catch onto the inside jokes and become quite attached to Vladimir and Estragon, and the humour comes from the situation comedy of it. It is funny, because nothing happens.

Within the play, there are a some killer lines that make it worth reading, such as 'They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more' and 'Astride of a grave and a difficult birth. Down in the hole, lingeringly, the gravedigger puts on the forceps'. Those are the amazing lines that make this play worth reading... and then probably re-reading, as the first time you'll probably be reasonably confused.