Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2008
This book is a joy. It is a joy to touch, to hold, to read and to study the most excellent reproductions of Bewick's tiny works. I live close to Bewick's birthplace and this book has inspired me with a new ardour for the Tyne Valley, its people and Natural History and, of course, the prodigious talents of Thomas Bewick and family.
on 25 May 2007
An enchanting book. I hadn't heard of Bewick, but seeing the lovely illustrations, I bought it. A charming story with most evocative woodcuts by this master engraver.
on 21 June 2012
After starting to read a paperback version of this from the library, I decided to buy a hardback. I was partly reading for study, so wanted the book to comfortably sit open on a table, etc. What a waste of a few extra pounds! The quality of the hardback is really poor. I handle books with care, but already the colour plate pages are coming out. What I think is called the mull (part of the spine binding)is half-off the bound signatures. Not only does this feel like a shoddily made book, it's going to be pain for re-reading with the important colour plates falling out. In fact, writing this, I'm sure I should send it back and complain!
on 25 January 2009
Living just up the road from where Thomas Bewick was born and was inspired, this book has made me see my local surroundings in a new way. Jenny Uglow is a great writer of social history. She puts flesh on the bones of Bewick and his contemporaries and gives an insight into the ways of life, politics and leisure activities of the late 18th, early 19th century through her rigorous research into her subject matter. Im reading The Lunar men now and so far Im not disappointed
on 12 March 2013
I'm pleading a special interest in this - I volunteer at Cherryburn in Northumberland which is the small National Trust property where Bewick was born and grew up and which inspired his love of nature, so you might say i've already got an interest in him. But you don't need existing interest or knowledge to love this book. Jenny Uglow gives you both the man and the artist; but also some fascinating and brilliant social history relating to Bewick's period. It's very engaging, very informative and Bewick's engravings are liberally dotted through the book. You might find a magnifying glass useful - I actually bought one to see the detail in these tiny representations and it's well worth the time spent. Lovely book.
on 8 August 2007
I didn't know I'd heard of Thomas Bewick. You have, too, if you have read Jane Eyre. You've seen his influence if you've read Beatrix Potter. Bewick was famous and very influential until technology, in the form of photography, xerox, and the laser printer, rendered his art form obsolete. Imagine how difficult it would be to engrave the image of a lion when one had only ever seen one (1) in a traveling zoo. This is a fascinating book; I learned so much!
on 24 November 2012
An excellent portrayal of Bewick's life with some superb pictures of his engravings. Easy to read and fascinating. Highly recommended.
on 23 November 2013
Bewick was a master craftsman of his time in the wood engraving business. This book gives an excellent portrayal of his life and I would highly recommend it.
on 7 July 2016
Very readable book about the naturalist, wood engraver, artist, genius that was Thomas Bewick. Book was in as-new condition
on 5 June 2015
Bought for a friend. One of my own favourites, so vivid you feel you're walking around his world with him