VINE VOICEon 15 July 2012
What a drag, I quite liked this book to start with and really enjoyed some of the really descriptive bits but as time went by I just got less and less bothered by the story and the characters. In the end I couldn't be bothered to read the last 20 pages always a bad thing.
on 23 March 2015
purchased as recommended by Christopher Hitchens so couldn't go wrong. Brilliant book sensitive and disturbing. My best book of the year.
on 16 January 2013
A highly descriptive style of writing. The subject matter makes uncomfortable and thought provoking reading. Quite hard going at times.
on 1 May 2014
enjoyed this enormously but found the situations pretty hard to understand in this day and age. a very good holiday read
on 10 June 2007
I didn't finish this book. Not many books can lose my attention so quickly, but it just didn't grab me at all. I think it was because it tried to explain the characters in too much depth at the beginning, without leading the reader to the story.
on 19 February 2015
A brilliant read with illuminating insights into the Pakistani community
in England.
on 19 June 2008
I must say that at first that I found the writing style difficult, but having got into the book I was drawn to it more and more. I was fascinated by the tale of Pakistani familes struggling to adapt to life in England, the parents clinging to the traditional ways of 'back home' and the children becoming more 'western' and the tensions this produced within the generations. I read this twice, the first time to discover the story and then again immediately afterwards to appreciate the desciptive language. Maybe not everyones' type of book, but I loved it!
on 10 May 2015
Found this book hard going
on 9 March 2015
good book
on 11 January 2007
For reasons personal to myself, I am very pleased that nadeem aslam was nominated for the bad sex award. In his book he portrays western women as slappers who pass on STD's, to my knowledge it can happen the other way round.