on 13 December 2005
Too many collections of poetry for children are rather patronizing and rather limited in their scope. My experience is that kids don't just want comic poems and/or poems about bodily functions or slugs. They really don't. Ted Hughes never wrote down to children and was passionate in encouraging poets of all ages. All his children's poetry from the slim volumes is brought together here, "graded" if you like from the poems for younger children to the more sophisticated work in SEASON SONGS. Having said that, a good poem is a good poem is a good poem- these poems are great for adults too. And they are accompanied by lovely images by Raymond Briggs.
I've bought this for my daughter as a Christmas present. She is 7 and a half, very keen on writing poems, also on animals. I believe she'll treasure it always.
If you buy this with THE COLLECTED POEMS OF TED HUGHES, you will have "riches beyond compare" on your bookshelf. At his weakest, he is still interesting-at his best, he is magnificent.
on 2 February 2016
The poetry is superb of course - it is Ted Hughes. However I found the size and thickness of the book too large and unwieldy for children, and thinking it would remain unread, I bought the CD as well. Now I have the book and the children have the CD. Excellent as they can crayon and play whilst absorbing the spoken poems. (Yes I know that I could have read aloud to them, but it is not always possible.)
on 5 November 2011
Poetry collection first rate really enjoyed reading these poems The book contains poems of great insight
and feeling a must for Hughes fans
on 21 August 2010
i wanted something special for my friends new born baby. This poetry book was the perfect present.
on 11 August 2013
Nice to sit down and read something short!!! Poems start for younger ones and then as the book progresses they get longer. Nice illustrations by the guy who did the snowman.
on 9 January 2015
A delightful book. I gave it to my grandchildren (after I had read it!).