Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2017
Love the elegiac qualities and the mixing of the personal and the historic. I loved the sense of this being her last book and Trieste, that unsung but highly interesting city, being its focus. Just the title meant I had to buy it, and the number of Joyce refs just about met my needs. Helped bring a brief visit to the city more to life.
on 18 October 2013
I chose this book by chance from your list online, as the beginning of a personal quest--I lived in Trieste as a toddler and Italian became a second mother tongue--after WWII, with American parents. I was overcome with the scope of the history Morris lays out, and am sincerely grateful for her frank and beautiful descriptions of places, people, empires and minute, daily details. Wonderful indeed and I'm anxious to go face the 'bora'--that eternal wind--in mid-winter this year.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2015
A beautifully written book by Jan Morris about a city I have always wanted to visit for some inexplicable reason, but now having read the book I have no reason to go there. Her details and sense of place mixed with historical facts make for a lovely travelogue read. I wish she had written more about some of the cities I'd like to visit if I could only live a few lifetimes. A unique perspective from a woman's point of view who was a man who had access to the male journalist's club that women didn't have keys to. Magical read about a magical city.
on 8 January 2018
great book on Trieste and life
on 8 February 2017
I'm sure it's beautifully written and all, but I found this turgid and the black and white pics are dull. Sorry.
on 26 February 2018
Brought back memories of 65 years ago!
on 29 November 2015
I had not visited Trieste as I looked for a books to accompany me on my road-trip through Bosnia. I had tried to accommodate it on my route but it was just to out of the way and difficult to reach. Is this why, so out of the way, that Trieste as Jan Morris describes, avoided the paranoid delusions of nation states killing each other through the centuries, as empire, colonialism and power-lust rent its way through each generation?

A wistful book written beautifully, read easily, by a man-woman now drowning in time, looking for kindness, finding a place that she describes is the closest to humanist, or perhaps as farthest from petty ideas of race, religion, gender as you might get. If I did believe in ghosts, which I don't, I would see them in every page of this brief jewel. In describing Trieste Jan Morris describes herself and her yearning.

I find this hard to believe, so I need to visit Trieste.
on 27 January 2014
Jan Morris muses on the history of this once-great seaport at one of the crossroads of Europe. It won't tell you where to stay or the opening times of the museums, but it will introduce you to a fascinating city that is off the tourist track.
on 6 December 2012
I served in the Army in Trieste and have never read a better account of this unique place. Quite superb.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2014
Having only seen Trieste in transit this book brought the city to life. A good mixture of history, travel and comment. I would have given 5 stars but the latter part became a bit repetitive.