Customer reviews

Justine (Faber Fiction Classics)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2017
Good clean copy to replace my old one which fell apart :-(.
on 13 November 2017
Happy with product! Wonderful second book in the "Alexandria quartet" series.Large print edition.
on 4 August 2017
Brilliant read, loved descriptions of Alexandria, complex relationships. A lot of the philosophical stuff didn't understand but still glued from start to finish.
on 6 July 2017
good read
on 5 September 2012
Unfortunately Justine was very disappointing and did not contain much about Alexandria as I was expecting. In Balthazar and Mountolive I got to see more of Alexandria as well as read very witty philosophical remarks and notes through Balthazar's involvement in the Capala society and Pursewarden's eccentric personality. In my opinion the best book in the four novels, is the last, Clea in it the Quartet matures into a fully developed story and I don't know whether this is down to Durrel's genious or development as a writer. I would go more with the latter though I'm not entirely sure
on 15 March 2013
I have read the first book 'Justine'. The style reminded me a little of Somerset Maugham but with less pace. Lawrence Durell has a painterly eye for setting and detail. There are tragic & comic characters. Like many deliberately literary novels it is introspective, indulgent and self regarding. This may seem harsh but these are character traits which I recognise in myself and which I suspect many self aware confident inteliigent people have. There are many passages which I highlighted and marked on my kindle as being very perceptive and beautifully phrased. A very polished writer will many good insights into the human condition.
on 8 August 2012
I've meant to read these 4 books for a long time and at last I've got around to it.

It is a dense account of various intertwined lives in the city of Alexandria.Above all it's an account of Alexandria itself.With all the political changes that have gone on in Egypt in recent times it's probably a good time to read the books.A time long gone,a time for nostalgia and all beautifully written.
on 29 January 2014
I've thought for decades that I should read this quartet, so I ordered it for my Kindle. I've started the first part, but I'm finding it irritating, mannered and completely self-obsessed. I think it must be a reflection of the times when it was written, and I shall have another try, maybe in a few months, but for the moment it's not for me.
on 12 August 2015
I first read this many years ago as a teenager and was always slightly bemused by the interaction of the characters / time / places, etc.Now, 50 years on, I find that the writing style of then has become tedious to read (my problem almost certainly) but, try as I might to get pass the interminable adjectival descriptions - and sensation of "ennui", I am completely disinterested in the characters or their lives. So sorry but this has become very boring and I have not progressed beyond half way through the first book. Am looking to try to erase it from my Kindle to free up ore space.
Sue
on 10 August 2013
I read Mountolive many many years ago (my first jousting with teenage angst!). I returned to start and hopefully complete the whole quartet. I found Justine in particular hard work, but overall a satisfying experience and one more author off the bucket list.