VINE VOICEon 10 May 2007
This is a delightfully curious book, a short and heavily illustrated (every other page is art) tale seemingly aimed at children but of such a dark content that it may well be more appreciated by adults. As Baker himself describes it: "This really is a very sad and terrible story. It is a tale of undiluted horror". The story concerns an evil young boy called Robert Caligari, and how his hatred of humanity leads to a truly ghastly comeuppance, and is told in Baker's unique and, let's face it, utterly loopy style. A delightfully mad jet black comedy, a book to both amuse children and give them nightmares. Nice one, Tom.
on 20 June 2006
This is an amazing tale of a terrible boy who is not nice. There are surreal moments and really quite silly bits. The story is all over the place, and slightly flimsy, which makes this more of a cult book but it will have its ardent fans. Wonderful illustrations by David Roberts though.
on 30 January 2002
When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down! It is a strange story about a boy who despises pigs, but then realises it's humans he hates. This is the story of how he gets his own back on humans - and kills loads of people in the process, buy shooting an arrow into a horse!!!
Although I highly enjoyed the book, I don't think it would be worth paying £13 for it! Plus, it's a bit misleading - not for children, but, don't judge a book by it's cover! Read it if you get the chance.
on 17 August 2011
I really enjoyed the layout of this book, very simple and a fantastical mix between dark adult humor and a childish appearance. Without giving too much away, I felt the ending was a little too graphic and its childish demeanor was completely lost. I do enjoy a bit of gore (American Psycho would definitely feature in my top 10) but I felt it was a little out of place here. Other then that, I quite enjoyed this book. Easily readable in about... an hour? About 100 pages long (with 'pretty' pictures and full of vibrancy. Except nothing less from Doctor Who.
on 21 December 2001
The Boy Who Kicked Pigs is a morality tale in the tradition of the Brothers Grimm and Roald Dahl. It is wickedly funny and deliciously nasty. Set out as a children's story (although at the price of this edition that would be a brave bit of parenting) although almost certainly not suitable for the younger child, it delights in disturbing events and true unpleasantness.
Tom Baker knows from his time as Dr Who what it takes to make people squirm with discomfort and all of that experience is distilled here in a thrilling tale.
Go on, buy it, I dare you.
on 16 April 2000
Well, I imagine this book will take you no more than a couple of hours to get through. Question is, is it worth it? It's an adult novel masquerading as a children's novel, it's strange, it's gory, it's funny, but it's too short. The style falls somewhere between Roald Dahl and Robert Rankin, without being as good as either.
Well, what can I say? Definately not my usual sort of read but a friend lent it to me and urged me to read it. Its a really short, young adults book.
I think I agree with Ardal O Hanlon who said; it was grotesque, depraved and above all very funny.

It is an amazing little book and will appeal to juvenile boys and 'grown up' boys I would guess. It is horrifying, silly, funny, and the drawings are amazing.

You would probably read it in an hour or so. Give it a go!
on 18 December 2000
This is an absolutly wicked tale and is absolutly funny! I have to say it is a brilliant story but just a little bit sick, if you know what I mean! Read it as soon as possible, it is a must for any one!
on 14 October 2010
While I loved the style of writing and the social commentary in this book, it was incredibly disturbing! I started out really enjoying the amusing narration about a strange little boy, but it became darker as the story progressed. At only 124 pages, this is a quick read, which makes the change from a bizarre tale into a rather frightening and gruesome one all the more sudden. Not only was I disturbed by the insight into the warped mind of Robert but also by the grisly descriptions of the outcome of his pig-kicking, world-hating actions. Definitely not one for children, even though this does look like it was aimed at that audience. To be totally honest, I don't know who'd enjoy this book - perhaps people who have a very warped sense of humour? Although I want to give the author credit for his superb narrative, the unsettled feeling that I had upon finishing this "gruesome masterpiece" brings down my rating somewhat. 5/10
on 7 June 2001
Anyone who is not entirely satisfied with this book should ask themselves what more they want. This book evokes a wide range of feelings ranging from terror and disbelief to histerical laughter. For such a short book it has everything and it's worth every penny. So what are you waiting for?