Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
In this wonderfully nostalgic book, based on Kenneth Graham's own childhood, Mr Mole gets fed up with spring cleaning and takes a day off. He meets Mr Rat and is captivated by his lifestyle. He decides to move in with him and meets other fascinating characters - such as Mr Badger, Mr Toad and the otter, as well as the villainous weasels and stoats of the wild wood and their ruler, the Chief Weasel. There are really two books in one - the comic story of Toad and the beautiful story of Ratty and Mole's experiences on the river, the two stories converging when the creatures of the wild wood occupy Toad Hall and have to be ejected.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, beautifully written and completely absorbing. Like other great children's books, it tells the truth about the human condition better than any adult book could do. It makes you laugh and cry and also makes you think and feel in a new way. Marvellous!
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2012
I remember having this book read to me at school and all the class were rapt and couldn't wait for every Friday afternoon for the next installment. The love of this book has grown as I have grown older and each time I read it, I find something new and more delightful in it. How I long to sit in Badgers comfortable home or watch the river go gliding past whilst at Ratty's house. Even Moles little home is charming with his little skittle alley. Toad Hall didn't impress me much as a child and still doesn't but who can't love the bumptious and rather silly Toad? He maybe rash and naughty but at heart he is a loveable chap.

This book simply doesn't date and the descriptions given of the river and the herbage and of the Wild Wood are superb. Probably my favourite chapter being Pagan, is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. Ratty and Mole are swept along without oars listening to music coming from they know not where until they find themselves on a little island and there they find a certain special someone plus the Otters son who has been missing for some time.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for children and adults alike............it simply transports you to a quieter, nicer time and makes you feel all 'squishy' and happy inside.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2013
Bought this for my Mum as she never got to read it as a child. I chose this one over the more highly illustrated copies because it seemed from the information that it stayed true to the original story and contained more chapters. It's a really nice book, if you are looking for a more traditional copy,
on 7 October 2015
My mother read the book to me, and like so many others who have been fascinated by the story, never questioned the animals size in relation to humans or the environment around them. Somehow Grahame had made things equal and the animals were able to change worlds without the reader noticing. And when I grew older and read the book to my daughter the differences therein went unnoticed. My daughter has my copy, So what better book to replace and read in retirement.
on 10 October 2016
My mother read this book to me when I was small and it is a story I have returned to many times over the years. It must be said it is a rather masculine book but modern children will still be enchanted by its tales of adventure, companionship , safe refuge and eating. I'm now 63 and will soon take the opportunity to read it to my granddaughter. Even if you only experience it through the medium of The Wind In The Willows, you can learn there is simply nothing better than messing about in boats
on 6 March 2012
AFTER LISTENING TO THIS ON BBC7 I THOUGHT IT WAS AN EXCELLENT DRAMATISATION OF KENNETH GRAHAMES BOOK. SO I BOUGHT IT ON AMAZON AT A GOOD PRICE. ITS A 2CD SET WHICH LAST 2HRS AND 20 MINS ALTHOUGH IT STATES THAT THE RUNNING TIME IS 2 HOURS. I LOVE THIS SET AND IT WILL BE PLAYED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I RECENTLY BOUGHT ANOTHER SET FOR MY NEPHEWS TO LISTEN TO IN THE MOTORHOME. I ALSO BOUGHT THE EGMONT HARDBACK BOOK WITH THE PROTECTIVE SLIPCASE IT HAS THE ORIGINAL E.H SHEPARD COLOUR ILLUSTRATIONS IT RETAILS AT £35 BUT IT IS ON AT THE MINUTE FOR UNDER £30 AND WILL BE COLLECTABLE VERY SOON. I RECENTLY PURCHASED THE 1971 METHUEN WIND IN THE WILLOWS THE VERY FIRST COLOURISED ILLUSTRATIONS BY E.H SHEPARD AND THE FIRST PRINT I PAID £150 FOR IT FROM A VERY WELL KNOWN ANTIQUE BOOK SELLER. I LOVE THIS BOOK AND WILL READ IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
on 15 August 2013
This book should be required reading for all children (and all aspiring authors). The first few paragraphs alone are worth the asking price, and more. Kenneth Grahame's lyrical prose has been enjoyed for decades and his characters remain as endearing as always. Mole, rat and toad all take over the point of view of the story at some point and are all wonderfully rounded and beautifully described actors in this hugely entertaining story. If I was going to be picky (and I suppose I am) then I would have to say that the chapters about otter's missing son and the sea-faring rat do not really advance the plot in any way, but who can criticise Mr. Grahame for exploring his make-believe world just a little more. Poop-poop!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2014
It's possible I've started reading this to the kids a bit to young (they are 5 and 6) but its fair to say the book has dated somewhat and the terminology, language and phrasing is not of the sort you will find in more modern books for younger listeners and readers. Indeed, there are a few words in there I've had to look up!

We do spend a lot of time explaining various bits and pieces to them as we go through it so it's slow going but that is part if the fun and learning experience I suppose!

However, it's a lovely, well written reminder of simple pleasures enjoyed by simple folk (or animals even!)
on 25 April 2015
I am 70 and still read it. I can quote passages by heart.
Should be read on a summers afternoon sitting by a river or in a wood.
Compulsory reading for children (up to the age of 90) in my view
11 Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2017
The hardcover illustrated version of this classic is very much unabridged (as stated on the front cover) and does include the chapter titled "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn". The review stating otherwise must be referring to a different publication format. The story is exactly as I remember from childhood and the illustrations are superb.
I first heard this story on a cassette tape that was a gift from my cousin. I listened to it so much that I wore the magnetic tape out! When I read this book now, as an adult, I can still hear the voice of the narrator from that first audiobook speaking in my head. Happy days.