Customer reviews

on 14 July 2015
Dunbar proposes that language evolved to facilitate gossip. Rather than being trivial, this was crucial for early-human communities, allowing people 360-degree views of their peers' behaviour. This let them detect freeloaders or liars who might compromise the fragile ecology of the group. With the desire to share information about others comes the desire to tell stories of the self - a means of controlling one's own reputation. We might see this as 'phatic' storytelling - we do it to 'groom' and soothe our companions.
One person found this helpful
on 7 March 2018
Brilliant. Robin Dunbar brings to life a fascinating subject. I plan to read his entire works.
on 17 July 2013
Dunbar discusses the title topics in a fresh and engaging way, offering an informative, engaging and at points, funny insight into the reasons and purposes for language. I very much enjoyed it!
on 21 June 2014
Robin Dunbar presents the understanding of a researcher with a talented educator's clearly written style. This is a carefully woven patchwork of many disciplines and intellects that shares examples of data, analysis or conjecture. The reader is treated to a five million year canvas, scores of species, groups and individual perspectives derived from our biological history, relations and prospects.
I'll be following some of recommendations for further reader (pushing the boundaries of my knowledgr and opinions in the process) and seeking novels that delve into arenas I'd not considered before. Several of Dunbar's almost casual observations, used to clarify a point, are themselves avenues for my curiosity. For example, that Victorian mantra "children should be seen and not heard" seems succinctly explained as the consequence of the family group dynamic being stretched too taut thanks to greater survivability of infancy.

I thoroughly recommend Dunbar's writing, not least because I suspect other windows of interest and action may be inspired by it.
on 15 December 2000
This book is really interesting and gives a fascinating insight into how networking and social 'grooming' (and I don't mean dressing presentably in public!) are not only essential but important for our personal safety and survival... look how easy it is to perpetrate crimes against, or renege on deals with, people to whom we have no loyalty ties: Dunbars' example is the taxman! Despite a tendency to reduce human existence to Machiavellian self-interest and propogation of the species, Dunbar makes some very pertinent points and shows how similar we are in many respects to our primate cousins. The true value of this book, however, lies in Dunbar's explanation for the evolution of language in our species. It is a fairly academic read and heavy going at times but well worth the effort. Highly recommended for all 'seekers' of knowledge about the human condition;  though I would suggest the childless-by-choice, and/or those with a higher sense of purpose, among us temper any ensuing existential neurosis by reading it in conjunction with The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield!
11 people found this helpful
on 3 June 2013
This a brilliant book, very in depth and descriptive. Ideal if you are studying canine behaviour.
Arrive a couple of days after I place my order.
on 8 May 2014
Fascinating.
on 26 January 2002
A fascinating read where the topics of animal behaviour and summaries of research meet human psychology. I'm glad it was recommended to me!!!
4 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2000
This book examines the origin of language in a way that helps you understand why we talk about the things we do. I have found this a useful way to help me understand behaviour of frends, family and workmates.
8 people found this helpful