Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2011
This review is based on the Kindle version of this book.

Having only had the pleasure of visiting Venice on a grey, stormy day I am longing for the day when I can return and really explore the well known and not so well known parts of Serenissima. For now, I hoped that this book would keep me going until I am able to return. It is very obvious that the author has a passion for and an extensive knowledge of Venice and sometimes this left me feeling overwhelmed with place names and little understanding of their physical place. There is also an over use of lists and superlatives which can sometimes be a little tedious. However, the emphasis is not on the tourist sites and traps but on Venice as a whole. There are maps, but these are unfortunately too small to be worthwhile on the Kindle. Also, there was a page missing in the afterword, which because it gives a histological timeline, is rendered pretty much useless due to the omission.

I'm not sure where this book fits. It is neither a travel book nor a complete history of Venice and yet, it has renewed and reawakened my desire to return to Venice and now, because I am more educated about the not so well known but equally enigmatic areas of Venice, the visit will be so much more fulfilling.
on 8 May 2017
Great value and swift delivery. Venice is a place I will never visit - I'm sure it is better kept a place of the imagination - and so this particular view of Venice -- pre-mass tourism, very late-50s/early-60s -- is especially delightful.
on 2 April 2017
Wonderful book about a place I will probably only see through the words of Jan Morris and other artists.
on 25 August 2017
It is easy to understand why this has become a classic account of Venice. It is neither a travelogue nor a history, but instead weaves a beautiful personal vie of the city which makes you immediately go and visit. The writing style is a joy.
on 14 August 2017
I bought this as a gift for a friend who will be visiting Venice shortly, I read it many years ago, it is indeed, perhaps, the best travel book ever written and the later edition does not disappoint, The service was excellent, as always - thank you.
on 16 July 2017
Had a quick scan of the book for the future trip and I think it's a quite good book
on 1 April 2017
Arrived as expected, in every way
on 15 May 2017
Heavy reading and felt rather dated. Would be better if shorter. Some interesting historical details
on 23 October 2016
v interesting
on 9 June 2017
Am delighted with this book