on 15 August 2017
good
on 12 June 2017
Delighted to add to my collection
on 11 April 2015
5* What else to say?
on 9 November 2006
Seamus Heaney is a poet of immense talent and has been described as the most important Irish poet since Yeats.

The earlier poems in this collection are a fascinating insight into Heaney's childhood. Poems such as Mid-Term Break and Digging illustrate this. Other poems like Death of a Naturalist and Thatcher are examples of the way Heaney plays with words, particularly adjectives, to form beautifully structured, exquisite works.

The later poems in this collection are more difficult to understand and go above my head to be honest, but I guess half the fun is trying to work out what they mean.

An enjoyable and interesting read.

Declan Mullan.
on 10 November 2015
Book arrived promptley and was in very good condition, the book itself was for my daughters A level studies she seems pleased with the book.
on 16 November 2012
I love this book-its a good selection of the poet's work-my first purchase,and i think its worth buying-not all the poems are well known and not at all of them will appeal .
But i like it well enough to recommend it
on 11 January 2017
I can't remember what the blurb said when I bought this book and I knew it was second-hand, but I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been flagged as in good, or very good condition. As it turned out, however, it was full of someone else's commentary (obviously, a student who had been using the book as a text book) written all over the pages. This was highly embarrassing as it was a Xmas gift. I don't have a problem with giving my husband a second-hand book - we buy each other second-hand books all the time as both of us are voracious readers and don't see the point of wasting money when so many used books in perfectly good condition are out there - but the notes totally spoiled the surprise as they really get in the way of reading the poems with an open mind. Your eyes just can't help going to the notes to see what they say, so you're constantly distracted from the poems themselves. I was very disappointed that these notes were not mentioned in the product details.
on 7 November 2008
A really rewarding read for anybody interested in truly evocative poetry. Some of the poems require quite a few readings (and even some background research) for their meanings to become clear, but it is well worth it. Includes the classic 'Funeral Rites' (my personal favourite) and 'Casualty', probably the best poem to reveal Heaney's observational talent.
on 2 December 1999
A-Level text book for English Literature, 1999/2000. From the earliest 'Digging' and other accessible poems through to his later (more difficult to understand) works. Knowing some background to the Troubles in Northern Ireland helps to understand where Heaney is coming from. A good read even if you're not much into poetry.
on 24 May 2015
This is largely okay; haven't not read every poem I can't comment on the collection as a whole, but it looks like for whatever reason this text is missing section II of 'Whatever You Say Say Nothing. There isn't a missing page, the poem just jumps from 'I' to 'III'. Unsure of the reason for this or if it was intentional; if anybody knows feel free to let me know and I'll adjust the rating.