Customer reviews

on 11 June 2017
Great book, brilliant explanations
on 11 December 2015
Excellent and very informative for me as an old adult, not sure whether eleven year old grandson will love it as much if the ideas are new to him.
on 7 June 2017
Part of the trilogy. My son has read them all and thought they were great !!
on 27 October 2013
I bought this as a prize because i think it's really good. Aimed at children, it is actually quite useful for adults too! i hope the recipient enjoyed it.
on 26 July 2001
The Time and Space of Uncle Albert is a really good book. I read it whenever I get a chance. There are two other books about Uncle Albert - Black Holes and Uncle Albert, and Uncle Albert and the Quantum quest. The Time and Space of Uncle Albert is the first in the series. HOW do distances get shorter? WHY can't you catch up with a light beam? The Time and Space of Uncle Albert answers both these questions and many others!
on 27 July 2012
A really good read for youngsters that have a scientifically inquisitive mind. Also useful for those that are looking for inventive ways to explain such difficult concepts.

Buy the set!

Personally I think this is the best of the three if you are only looking to buy one of them.
on 31 December 2010
The three books are well written and understandable by children and adults. They are stimulating to the young mind and can help the older person to remember science that has been forgotten.
on 20 January 2013
When I was 12 my cousin's boyfriend lent me this book. I am now a scientist and I think this was a real turning point for me (although I didn't realise it at the time). Superbly written for the intended age. At age 12 I was able to correctly answer all the questions in the back of the book which are actually quite hard (I don't think I'd get them all right now without rereading the book). As an adult I couldn't remember the name of the book but after a bit of searching I managed to find it and I have now bought the set. Would definitely recommend this.
on 20 December 1999
This is a great book to pass on to a relation / friend who won't put up with dull science but you want to show how fun STR and so forth can be. Despite a few fuzzy areas, the general principles and the weird ideas are all there and the accessible way they are presented leads on to some interesting questions and conversations. But, don't think it is just for kids, someone reading over my shoulder on the tube started to ask me questions. The poor fool, he is now hooked.
Even if you are an accomplished professor of GR and all that, do remember to read it yourself first. It will let you know what questions you are likely to be asked & reminds you of the fun that it used to be when you first heard about these silly ideas!
on 23 July 2001
I think the Time and Space of Uncle Albert was fantastic! It's about a man called Albert (based on Albert Einstein) - explaining all about time and space to his ten-year-old niece, Gedanken. Albert has a thought bubble - like you get in cartoons and comics, and is able to beam Gedanken up into it! Why can't you catch up with light? Why does space get squashed? Why are astronauts weightless? The answers are all in this book. But the fun ends when something goes wrong with Albert's imaginary spaceship...