Customer reviews

Travesties
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2014
This play is very complex, clever and funny - one of Stoppard's best things. It mixes history and comedy in a very interesting way - if you want to know about the plot, read the Amazon blurb. I read this on my Kindle very happily, and since part of the play uses Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of being Earnest", I downloaded that - for free - and re-read it to help me understand all the references and parodies in the Stoppard play. It would be a good wheeze of the publishers of the Kindle edition to combine these two plays in one purchase.

In my original review I said how sad it was that as far as I know there had been no major production of this play in the UK since 1993. I'm glad to say this is no longer true. I just (February 2017) saw a really excellent revival in London with a superb cast lead by Tom Hollander. Stoppard was involved in the production ( by Patrick Marber) and allowed some changes. On stage it's as good as I remember it from the seventies.
on 26 April 2017
A most entertaining show with a brilliant performance by Tom Hollander. Familiarity with Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' is essential for full enjoyment and it is hard to gauge how much of the humour would be understood without a knowledge of this play. For those who know their Wilde Travesties is highly recommended.
on 11 April 2018
I liked Stoppard when I was young and lived in London. I am now too old to enjoy it.
on 19 April 2017
Dear Tom Stoppard; what else can you say? Lovely writing, lovely characterization and a good plot to boot
on 22 April 2017
I saw a revival on Travesties in London this year, and I found it absolutely delightful. It was quick, witty and wonderfully acted, and it had such a strong script that I had to buy a copy.

I wasn't at all disappointed in rereading it, and I'm absolutely certain I will be reading it over and over for years to come!
on 7 May 2017
An excellent, highly entertaining production of this wonderful play with the extraordinarily talented Tom Hollander giving a brilliant performance supported by a strong cast
on 28 April 2017
Stoppard is deservedly considered a to great of modern English literature, and this play is one of his very best.
on 9 April 2017
Absolutely marvellous. Da da da boom diay! Stoppard and cast did us proud.
on 16 April 2013
A steal at the price, in decent nick. More laughs than the complete works of Ibsen, and much easier to read than the first folio: what more could you want?
on 25 January 2016
A mistake was made somewhere in the packaging/delivery process and instead of Tom Stoppard's Travesties I received Disney's Book 6 Fairytales for children... It took a few days for them to track down another copy for me but it was all relatively easy.