Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 January 2010
Ralph Fiennes does a magnificent job of reading one of my all time favorite poems, The Four Quartets by T.S.Eliot. A true delight
on 16 September 2006
I am hooked, and I don`t even like poetry. At least that was what I thought before I started reading Four Quartets.

I think it can be read in two ways.
One can either read it and focus on all the beautiful pictures used; it is plenty of them, and the reason I picked it up in the first place after having heard some quotations.
Or one can dig deeper trying to figure out what Eliot meant; looking at it like a journey where nearly every sentence refers to something.

It is not an easy read, but I would highly reccomend it to anyone who has read quite an amount of books, as it simply is a masterpiece!
on 23 February 2014
This is a keeper, something to enjoy either for a few moments of reading or to while away an afternoon.
on 24 December 2016
An appalling reading by Fiennes. Utterly uncomprehending of the subtlety and beauty of the verse. Actors really ought not to be given poetry to read.
on 12 March 2015
I originally heard this read on Radio 4 and was blown away by the beauty of the writing. I just had to get the book. It is something I will dip into time and time again.
on 3 December 2009
I suppose I made the assumption that a good actor with screen presence could do justice to Eliot's great work. I was wrong. Fiennes reads this as if he is doing so for the first time, without any run through or rehearsal. It is read too slowly in some places and too quickly in others. It often lacks any emotion, especially when reading a question, of which there are a few in the first quartet. I much prefer Ted Hughes's reading, sadly not available on CD or as a download.
on 20 July 2015
Great poetry and well worth repeated reading. With that in mind, lovely to have a well-bound paperback with good quality paper and type.
on 19 June 2014
T.S. Eliot writes with such passion so excellently written and so educational. I wish I had studied this at college.
on 27 April 2015
I love these poems and once learnt them all by heart. They still echo in my memory but my memory needs prompting!
on 2 September 2016
Major work of poetry and the art of reflection on the human condition. Very rewarding reading over many readings.