on 18 July 2017
Very helpful little book for those who are going through the grief of losing a loved one - especially a spouse.
on 4 November 2017
It resonates with my own feelings about my late wife. My life as it was died soon after she passed away.
on 22 February 2011
A must read for anyone dealing with a death. CS lewis is, as usual, brilliant in an honest review of his grief after his wifes death.
on 17 July 2012
Having recently lost my lover I was recommended this book early on but my grief was still too raw for me to contemplate reading about someone else's loss. Several months on now I have bought and read the book and have re-read it three times back to back and am keeping it by my bed probably for weeks to come. It's honesty is powerful and brave. It is a real comfort to me to see my own pain described and my own consolations played back to me. This loss is the first real loss I have suffered of someone to whom I was very close and the path of grief was an unknown way. Reading this book has brought me the relief of recognising that my experience is shared by others, that the repetitive cycles while trying are perfectly normal, that sorrow is a process not a state, that it's OK to continue to love him and celebrate what we had, and that I am recovering. It is a book for people with faith. I recommend it highly and hope others will find it as helpful as I have.
on 6 April 2017
Short, sharp and observant. Little too religious for some.
on 6 October 2017
disappointing read.
on 11 September 2017
As described
on 11 October 2017
Helpful though a little heavy on the religious aspect. This to be expected knowing Lewis's background. Grief is very individual and his experience having married someone already having been diagnosed with cancer was different from mine as I had been married 34 years and the cancer was the bolt from the blue for my husband and I. Lewis showed a different kind of courage than most bereaved people need but nevertheless was a consoling read.
on 1 May 2017
WONDERFUL AND SO INCITEFUL. So relevant to me at this time and very useful, a really good read.
on 4 December 2000
The best book I have read (and that's from a voracious reader). It's a real-life diary of C S Lewis' feelings on the death of his wife, and as the book progresses you watch his opinions and emotions alter, and his pain gently alleviate. It's a side of Lewis that people who just read 'Narnia' will never know existed. Also shows his opinions on God and religion - he was strongly religious, but the book never forces it on you (I'm not religious). Fascinating for anyone interested in how people cope with extreme emotions (or just interested in people), and an amazing book altogether.