Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2001
Look back in Anger is not only a classic of the British theatre, it also had reverbatory effects around the world upon its release in the 1950s. The play features some of the most vivious confrontations and acidic language I have ever read, and is ideal material for male and female monologues. Jimmy, the protagonist, has perplexed audiences and directors alike - how can any woman stand to live with him, let alone be drawn back to him after seemingly 'escaping'? But that is the lure of Jimmy's character - his sheer charisma. He is a James Dean for the English middle-classes, without the stunning looks, but with more reasons to rebel. The imagery of the play is at once subtle and exciting: Osborne is a master at creating visual and audio contradictions. In LOOK BACK IN ANGER this is manifested in the contrast between the bestial (animal) imagery, the unbridled lust of the protagonists, and constant reminders of religion, the Church, and the 'proper' society that Jimmy wishes to tear Alison away from. It is a drama of passion, bitterness and regret, with a shocking climax and a disturbingly ambiguous conclusion. Essential reading.
on 29 April 2013
This play is brilliant - I'd love to see it live. The relationships between the characters are so three-dimensional that even just reading this play, I was completely and utterly sucked into their world. The play is touching, dramatic and unique.
on 25 January 2014
Purchased as a set text for my daughter who is taking A levels. Whilst the play itself was quite a radical production in its day, the theme and context are quite dated and rather staid. I guess I would not have purchased it, had it not been a set text.
on 30 January 2010
I went to Waterstones to check this play because of the many references to both play and author. I was so strongly hooked that I sat there and then and read the whole thing. Then I went on and ordered it all the same, because my library couldn't be missing such a work. The characters are incredibly strong and well defined, big emotions and powerful controversy are stirred, and its a beautifully ironic twist on love and British post-war youth with poetically expressed existentialism/nihilism seamlessly integrated at various moments. This play redefined British theatre (and, for me, youth and pop culture) with its bold subject matter. Read it - see it!

(apologies, when I get really excited about something, like I obviously did here, i find it hard to put into words, but I had to add my review, if nothing else, to restore the deserved balance in the rating)
on 20 June 2016
It may have made an impression in its time, but from a 2016 perspective I wonder what the fuss is about.
The Jimmy character is described as disaffected. Well, he is merely a bully, and maybe has mental health issues. It is certainly not a working class play, as Jimmy is well educated. So why is he "disaffected"? We don't know, and I don't care.
on 6 January 2013
Brilliant portrait of life in Britain - Jimmy Porter gives everybody a tongue lashing while a dismal career waits him. The female roles are pivotal and groundbreaking. Ennui pouring out of every word. Terrific.
on 23 April 2013
A brilliant piece of writing, strong characters with powerful storyline.
A tenacious love triangle involving Jimmy an intelligent, yet disaffected young man, Alison his upper class wife and her best friend Helen. A Welsh lodger Cliff, attempts to keep the peace.
on 5 September 2014
Very beautiful and passionate. It's very easy to be drawn to the character of Jimmy; to loathe him and be enchanted in equal measures.
on 20 November 2012
I bought this for a course I am taking it was in brilliant condition and I am really enjoying the play itself. Would recommend it.
on 23 January 2016
I have always preferred his other plays (Luther, for example), but this one is a classic.