Customer reviews

Symbols of Church and Kingdom: A Study in Early Syriac Tradition
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2008
The author, Robert Murray, s.j., was a friend of mine for many years until we lost touch about 15 years ago.

This book has been highly praised by Robert's fellow scholars, especially colleagues in this particular field.

I think he has a number of colleagues, but perhaps no more than 100 peers.

He is Steven Hawking, not Carl Sagan.

If you don't have some knowledge of the material covered by this book, you will probably not be able to read it.

If you do, you MUST read it.

This is not light bedtime reading. It is not recommended reading for an amateur scholar. I doubt that it is even course material for anyone not doing post-graduate work in theology.

I think my daughter might be able to enjoy it, since she has her S.T.L. from Notre Dame and teaches theology.

This book reminds me of the definition of the moral imperative. If such an imperative can exist, it MUST exist.

Or something like that. If you don't already know what I'm talking about, or what I'm mixing up with something else, look for another book. You won't be able to make any sense of this one.

I couldn't, and I read Kierkegaard for fun when I was in high school.