on 6 June 2017
If you've never been to one of these exhibitions, go. If that's not possible (or even if it is) buy this. The photos are stunning.
on 4 June 2013
As all books in this series the pictures quality are outstanding.
I buy this book every year as a present for my wife, she spends
hours poring through the book. Excellent!
on 19 December 2012
I am a great fan of this series of publications. The photos are usually nearly all exceptional. I can appreciate the technical excellence of this edition but for me they came across as less appealing than recent previous editions. Still worth the low price I paid but a little disappointing. My son who went to the exhibition told me that when seen as back lit large images they were indeed stunning. I think that some have not worked so well as much smaller prints even though the reproduction on paper is as good as ever.
on 18 November 2012
When I first saw the cover photograph of Wildlife Photographer of the Year I knew immediately I had to see the rest!
Wildlife is very dear to me and the contents of the book brought it home how wonderful it is.
Amazing photography and stunning compositions make a really tremendous book.
The patience needed to capture many shots and expert knowhow of the photographers is clearly seen and must have been extremely difficult to decide on the winners.
Wildlife Photographer of the year Portfolio 22 is a must book to have and congratulations to all category winners.
Cannot wait for next publication!
on 21 November 2012
beautifully presented & wonderful photography a real gem. It was bought as a present but am strongly tempted to keep it myself
VINE VOICEon 26 December 2012
We buy the latest volume of this "Wildlife Photographer of the Year Portfolio" as a matter of routine every year. This latest version "Portfolio 22" lives up to the usual high standard in terms of the pictures it contains. What is slightly below par is the layout which seems to favour the use of smaller pictures this year even though the overall size of the book remains the same. To me, the stunning photographs that have been contributed would look even better in a slightly larger format which could easily have been accommodated in the same format of book. (This was the format used in earlier portfolios).

In summary, still an exceptional volume, and, well worth waiting the year for, although, the photographers' achievements could have been showcased in a slightly more appealing format Perhaps next year the publishers will revert to the layout used in previous years. However, still a sufficiently high quality book in terms of both form and content to merit an above average rating. Recommended.
on 17 March 2013
My brother is very hard to buy for as he is a keen photographer so most presents that would be ideal for him would cost a fortune. We saw the exhibition advertised when we were in London but unfortunatly it was on a day that it was closed, we found this book in the book shop but decided to see if we could find a cheaper price online. The imagery is amazing and as my brother said (having entered for Landscape photographer of the year) it s****s all over the Landscape photographs (no offence anyone). The one thing to note is that this book does show some images that some people might be sensitive too (they aren't pleasant) but this is the reality of living in this world.
This book was a brillaint christmas present and has inspired the whole family to try to take photos of wildlife. The book is quite large but as it is a picture book this makes for clear photos. There are some truely amazing photos, my favourites being the turtle and fox.
on 24 March 2014
A truly great selection of photographs from some of the best out there. The book arrived with a minor tear on the sleeve however as I intend to cut some of the photos out, i'm not fussed by it. The quality of the photos and the paper is high enough, unfortunately these portfolios aren't available in the lay flat format, however as the images don't spread across two pages and the spine is next to non existent, this isn't a problem. This is also the only way i'm aware of to buy the images in the 'World in our hands' category, which are unavailable to buy as prints. These are truly shocking images but to me make them all the more important. Images such as 'primal fear' in this book should be seen by all, its a fine example of the power of photography to portray a horrible problem.
on 2 January 2013
I'd seen this book in the bookshop before buying it online and was impressed with the quality of the photographs and the beautiful presentation they received in this book. As a hardback and one that uses quality paper, this is a book you'll want to keep for years! It made a great christmas gift for someone who loves animals.

The only small niggle was that on a few of the pages (only one or two) the ink had very slightly spilled but to no detriment of the photographs only 'white space' - of course, this was probably just an isolated issue.

Overall a great book at a great price!
on 22 January 2013
Contrary to some surprising criticsm from a number of buyers, I thought it was a great collection of wildlife photgraphs. I enjoyed the publication just as much as I did those purchased in the previous five years.
Had my copy not been damaged before it was delivered I would have awarded the purchase five stars. The damage consisted of a small rectangular section (12cm x 5cm) cut from the bottom right hand corner of page 73/74 and a number of vertical straight line cuts between 12cm and 3cm long at the bottom of the subsequent 7 pages.