Customer reviews

on 19 December 2011
I own the baby elephant folio version, but having had the chance to compare the two, I find the reproductions in this edition more appealing. The colours here are more muted and subtle than in the baby elephant, which can be overly vivid. I also rather like having the prints presented in the order of original publication (rather than organized by bird family), as this goes some way towards recreating what it might have been like to be one of the original subscribers receiving those first and subsequent sets of prints. Unlike the baby elephant, this edition has only a fairly brief introduction, and no notes on individual species/plates, but the pictures themselves are perhaps more eloquent here.
on 27 November 2011
I got this today after looking for a well printed edition of Audubon's works.

This meets the bill; printed on heavy paper, clear illustrations, beautiful colours, presented in the original order and presented in a sturdy slip case.

If anyone ever says that science had no eye for beauty then I'll strap them to a chair and make them read this delightful nd playful volume.
on 18 April 2012
Everyone knows of this book and I already had a reproduction, but this is stunning! Quality is superb and this is a big book, though not as large as the original, of course. It feels as if it has come straight from the author, not something almost 200 years old. I absolutely love it and it is a privilege to own such a work of art.
on 4 December 2012
I purchased this book as a christmas gift for my husband who had already expressed an interest in it. We first saw it at the Natural History Museum in London and both thought what a beautifully illustrated book.
on 3 April 2013
Amazing pictures as expected really. Only issue and one thats nice to have is its so very heavy that it really needs somewhere solid to view it.
on 8 November 2013
This is a beautiful book, with the pictures printed on thick, high quality matt paper. I have previously seen some of the pictures well reproduced on a more shiny surface, which in some cases, works better, I think. But it's a lovely coffee table volume, and I was most impressed by Amazon's very fast delivery of this order - by courier - notwithstanding the fact that I had chosen Super Saver Delivery! Amazon also notified me in advance of the delivery date for the courier - an excellent transaction all round.
on 5 August 2014
I gave this as a gift - the recipient, a British birder, loved it just for its beauty. its craft and, of course, the history.
on 18 August 2014
A book to treasure and come back to again and again.
on 23 July 2016
Great price, fab book, excellent service.
on 19 April 2013
I bought this as a gift for my daughter and will be taking it to Grand Cayman when I visit. It is rather larger and heavier than I had imagined but I will get it there because I know she will love it !