Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 February 2007
As a lifelong vegetarian I've stopped buying cookbooks as they tend to be a bit samey. However this was given to me recently as a gift and I'm finding it totally inspirational and loving being back in the kitchen.

It's got some really useful nutritional information that I was previously unaware of, loads of interesting suggestions for upping your intake of particular minerals and most importantly, every single recipe looks absolutely delicious.

The GI diet info is really useful but almost by the by - eat this food and you won't feel like you're denying yourself a thing.

I can't think of a bad thing to say about it.
11 comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2008
I'm not a vegetarian, but a vegetarian friend showed me her copy of this book, and I just had to buy it. Every recipe I've tried works fantastically well, and whenever I use the recipes to entertain, they are extremely well received. A number of my friends have now bought the book too. I'm definitely going to buy more of Rose Elliot's books.
on 20 May 2009
I bought this book as I am a fan of Rose Elliot's books. Although the recipes look good, I am disappointed that they are not all low GI - some use potatoes cooked in a high GI style, and even sugar! She does make the point in these particular recipes that they are not good for dieters, but I thought the purpose of eating low GI is to stabilise blood sugar for other reasons as well, such as reducing cravings and preventing energy slumps.
on 27 March 2008
This book is filled with great tasty recipes, very easy to follow too. I would definately recommend it to anyone wanting to follow a low-gi diet, vegetarian or not!
on 7 April 2013
I've given this two stars because some of the recipes look nice (although I haven't actually tried any yet). The main issue I have with the book is that i just don't agree with some of the principles. I read a review before buying the book, which said that the recipes were different from the kind of samey stuff you usually find in vegetarian recipe books, but I can't really agree with that having looked through it myself. There is still a pasta section detailing how to mix tomatoes into fusilli....

To begin with, there seems to be bit of confusion regarding the GI information. Skimmed milk, for example, is listed as low GI, while whole milk is listed as high GI - firstly this is the wrong way round: whole milk is lower GI than skimmed milk (skimmed milk has more lactose, which is a sugar). The GI tables in the peer-reviewed papers I've read put the index for both in the 40s, anyway, so there's not that much difference between them - whole milk is not high GI.

Another thing that is confusing is why there are recipes using millet, when she has put millet in the high GI column (it's even listed twice in there). I have no idea what the GI of millet is but it seems a little contradictory. The same can be said for her advice on avocados- 'eat a quarter, occasionally', then she includes a recipe that serves two people and contains a whole avocado. I don't know what her reasoning is for limiting avocado intake, but everything else I've read about avocados is very positive so I'm ignoring her advice.

Rose Elliot also seems to be afraid of fat, which I think is a bit weird for a low GI book. She writes that eating fat with your food means it is digested more slowly and therefore has a lower GI, but there are still traces of low-fat diet advice lurking in the book... the advice hovers between low GI and low fat, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The idea that eating a low fat diet is the best way to lose weight is a hypothesis that has been believed for a long time and she doesn't seem able to fully let that go, which is slightly irritating.

I wasn't expecting recipes involving pasta and I thought there would be more of a focus on protein, but some of the recipes are just pasta and veg with a bit of cheese. There are also recipes for cakes using white flour and sugar. If you're not going to do it properly, what's the point?

Complaints aside, there are some recipes that look nice and I will be keeping the book - I just had higher hopes for it and was a bit disappointed.
on 14 December 2011
As someone who has been a vegetarian for many years, but lapses occasionally and eats a little fish, the recipes are ok but not particularly inspiring. Also I am aggrieved there are no GI values to the meals she has produced which would be good. She does not really follow the low GI diet with a number of recipes, using sugar and potatoes too easily. If only she had included a two week Low GI vegetarian diet for people wanting to lose weight using her recipes. Maybe another book Rose?
on 6 January 2010
I bought this book on a whim. At the time I was fed up of veggie cookbooks full of recipes with cheese in, and was looking for something lighter as I wanted to lose weight. I also needed to try and stablise my blood sugar for health reasons.

My copy is covered with food and water stains. I keep it permanently in the kitchen and use it whenever I'm stuck for inspiration for a dish.

I have found this an extremely useful book - okay so not all of the recipes are truly low-gi but Rose Elliot does state which ones don't fit the low-gi model in her introductions. The starred recipes, of which there are many, are low-gi and stated by the author to be 'perfect for slimmers'. Particular favourites of mine are 'Pizza Bake' and 'Slow Cooked Black Beans', both starred recipes.

All in all I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a change from cheese laden veggie recipes and who maybe wants to lose a little weight.
on 18 April 2009
My meat-eating husband is preparing the Moroccan chickpea casserole from this book as I write which says it all!
Some great recipes in here, plus useful info on low GI foods and healthy vegetarian eating.
Many of these are nice and quick because Rose advocates the use of tinned beans and pulses which is great.
I really like the variety of recipes and I'm planning to buy her bean cookbook.
Rose Eliot has a lovely style of writing and her passion for healthy and delicious veggie food shows throughout this lovely book.
on 8 December 2015
Many of these recipes are not that low gi; white pasta, white rice, potatoes - come on! Also advises that stevia is not yet authorised for sale in the uk, which it was around 2011 - this book needs a serious update.
on 5 June 2011
This is my favourite cook book. My fiance and I are generally a meat-lover, but these recipes are just so tasty and satisfying, we hardly miss meat (we now eat meat once every two weeks instead of every day). The recipes are quick, really easy to buy ingredients for and make, and usually involves minimal cleaning up. I'm also impressed how little salt and sugar she uses - instead, she suggests flavourings like wine vinegar, honey, soy sauce and tomato puree. I love this book and recommend it to anyone who wants to eat healthy, yummy, affordable food :)