Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 4 March 2009
As a bloke who hasn't got any of the other Delia books but quite like her on the telly i thought this would be useful addition to the other Jamies, Nigellas and Wagamama books on the Kitchen Shelf.

I didnt realise quite how essential it would become - its now 'first choice' every time i turn to the kitchen shelf for advice on an old fave or want to try something new to impress my other half.

It feels like that trusted DIY manual you keep going back to time and again either just to dip into (like that nice boiled egg on the cover) or to study in detail - whether its a meal that youve done before and need a refresher or want to give it a bit of a twist; or if its something youve never cooked before and you want the guiding hand of someone who knows what theyre doing (and can explain exactly what to do in the real world!) to stop it all going horribly wrong.

Its like Delia's Bible - and you can't say fairer than that. Essential for any kitchen shelf and highly recommended.
33 Comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2009
As a bloke who enjoys cooking but has missed out on ( or can't remember) the basics this book is great. It starts at the beginning and builds your confidence with inspirational recipes throughout. The quality of the recipes are spot on with clear directions and colour photos. As an in depth resource at this price it is invaluable. Thoroughly recommended.
on 14 April 2009
I have a collection of many cookbooks but Delia's Complete How to Cook Guide is by far the best. I love the illustrations, I really like to know how the recipes should look. The tips and information pages are really helpful too. All the recipes I have tried have all turned out brilliantly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book.
11 Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2009
I bought this for my sister who is a fairly new cook. She loves it and I have to say that I have asked for a copy for my birthday too! It includes the basics and lots of recipes to tempt even the most experienced cooks - a great buy!
on 22 April 2009
Delia's complete how to cook lives up to its title.Here we have a combination of all her cookery books and does an excellent job of showing how to cook both with the beginner and the experienced.Every aspect of cookery is explained clearly and the recipes are set out so that the most nervous and inexperienced can manage them.This is a cookery book invaluable to the beginner and the experienced.Delia has triumphed yet again.
I like Delia for basic common sense cooking. There is a lot of basic stuff in here that isn't easy to find anywhere else - such as how to poach an egg or make perfect jacket potatoes. There is also valuable information about different types of fruit and veg and the best way to cook them

This is a brilliant book just for browsing as well and the photographs are marvellous - you can almost taste and smell the food. The presentation of all the recipes is unfussy and simple. I really hate cookery books which show photographs of finished dishes with delicate drizzles of sauce round an artistically arranged heap of meat and vegetables.

With this book you know you will be able to reproduce what's in the photograph even if you've never used the recipe before. I know I'm going to get lots of enjoyment and marvellous meals out of this book. If I have a reservation it is its sheer size - which is large and heavy. I'm also not sure how long the binding will stand up to constant handling - but then cookery books in daily use are meant to look a little worn!
on 30 April 2009
This book is a "must have" whatever your standard of skills in the kitchen from beginner to seasoned cook/chef, it is guarenteed to teach you something or give you ideas to improve. It would make a great gift for students on their way to uni too!!!
on 8 April 2009
Absolutely love this book as its something I can dip into for easy, no fuss lunches, fabulous dinner party recipes and its a great reference book as well.
I couldn't imagine not having a Delia Smith cookbook in the house, in fact I have them all, but this weighty tome is indispensable if you want to know how to really cook. It is a recipe collection for life.
on 4 April 2009
Just what you expect from Delia. Nice to have it all in one book - although it is rather heavy.
on 4 July 2009
I bought this book because I am, and always have been, a fan of Delia Smith, however I honestly thought it would be more of a coffee table book rather than a well used cook book. Well I was completely wrong! My copy of this book is covered in stains with pages stuck together with unspeakable gunk, in short it doesn't leave my kitchen! I have cooked so many recipes from it and there are a lovely mixture of old Delia favourites and new dishes to explore. As always the recipes are reliable as long as you follow Delia's instructions and apply common sense. I can highly recommend the recipe for simple white bread, it's soft and delicious, better than anything I have had out of a bread machine and is perfect for sandwiches and makes excellent toast. Also, even though I am a competent cook, Delia's instructions for cooking eggs were an absolute revelation to me, I can now cook perfect poached or boiled eggs every single time and without stress or worry!