on 15 June 2017
I first read this book over 20 years ago and told everyone it was the best book I'd ever read. Over the years I've read everything from scifi to horror to romance to comedy and recently wondered if this book really was as good as I remembered, so purchased the kindle edition. I still love it! There's no denying that it's not an easy book to get into. The first 5 or 6 chapters I found as difficult at 40 as I did at 20, however, it is worth it. There's a lot of saddening and moving description of life in WW2, some pages are difficult to read and are very thought provoking. I am so pleased I revisited this book, my advice would be to give it a go but be mindful that it has its challenges. Overall it is still one of the best books I've ever read.
on 13 June 2017
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I love Bernieres' writing style and how he mixes things up from chapter to chapter. On the other, the story takes forever to start, and he tends to dip needlessly into the thesaurus every once in a while, using the longest, most obscure words he can find, which can make it unnecessarily hard-going at times, even for someone with a reasonable vocabulary. I don't normally have an issue with this kind of thing (always keen to discover new words), but given that he's often using these words to conjure a feeling of idyllic, effortlessness in describing the Greek island of Cephalonia, it gets in the way of the vision a little.
on 26 June 2017
I really loved this book. It sets the scene in the island of Cephallonia around the time of the second World War. The initial chapters are little cameos of the inhabitants. I was drawn into the book from the very first page and experienced some 'laugh out loud' moments! (Unusual for me.) The tale gradually brings the characters together when the island is occupied by the Italian Army and the Germans. It evolves throughout with excellent descriptive passages with an undercurrent of black humour. Differing relationships are prominent throughout emphasising how they are dealt with...how they survive, change,evolve and accept. I have since watched the film of the same book and apart from some of the dialogue which was used, I feel that the film did not do justice to the book. So, if you have not read the book but have seen the film thinking it to be a love story, please read the book and be prepared to change your mind.... Just my opinion of course!
on 14 May 2017
A good read. Better than the film which is usually the case. The last quarter of the book skips of a long period of time very quickly though which was strange and did spoil it a bit.
on 26 March 2017
I loved this book. Couldn't put it down however, I do feel that the latter half of the book seemed to lose direction and cause.

The last few chapters left me angered at characters I once loved and caused me to grieve over Pelagia's wasted and unfulfilled life.

The first half is beautiful, witty and addictive and the novel, in it's entirety, would have been held in this light had it concluded without whizzing through Pelagia's life span to reach it's pitiful close.
on 29 July 2016
Felt I had to read it as its a classic. The history was extremely interesting, however you could skip the first 200 pages and still have a great read that didn't take so long to warm up.
on 13 April 2017
The sort of book you reach the end of and start again at the beginning. Beautifully told. Funny, sad and touching one of my favourite books
on 19 December 2015
I loved this book... so much better than the movie (which I watched later).
I read it whilst on holiday on the island of Kefallonia (where the story takes place) and at times I'd be sobbing my heart out while sitting on a beautiful beach... people must have thought I was mad! :D
on 21 July 2017
I lovedreading this book. A wonderful classic which is so relevent in todays society. This is a stunning book.
on 19 July 2017
This was a different genre of book than I normally read and only read it because of visiting Kefalonia. I became very engrossed in the characters and found myself deep in thought as to how it would end.Pleaded I read and would recommend