on 2 May 2005
A Fantabulosa collection of extracts from that well known duo brought to fame by Round the Horne and historically known as the first seriously camp couple in broadcasting.
Their influence has been astouning at bringing all the Polari to the nation and filling us Brits with our favourite style of humour- the double entendre.
From the first moment their nasal cackles reath the ears to the final bow on the second CD a Bona listen and no mistake ducky.
on 27 March 2017
I'm sure the PC brigade will tear me to pieces for saying I like this. I grew up when homosexuality was an "offence" in the eyes of the law in the UK. Broader societies attitudes was more acceptance and probably in some way due to the humour that Jules and Sandy brought with their use of Polari. They're outrageously camp of course so if that offends you avoid this. It will however be your loss! The timing of the humour and Kenneth Horne's dry straight man is of course straight from "Round the Horne". For those too young to remember "Round the Horne" (available on CD too) it was a massive comedy hit in the days when the radio was "The Wireless". The Julian and Sandy sketches were just one part of each RTH episode so if there's one criticism of this amalgamation is that it can seem repetitive. If like me "Oo 'allo! I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy" brings an instant smile to your face.... this is a must have.
on 28 April 2017
Excellent
on 23 May 2017
This CD has me in fits of laughter, it's so funny. Camp comedy at its best.
on 19 January 2011
I first heard Polari via radio's Round the Horne; I would have been 15. It was both naughty and funny. It's a real delight to rediscover it; now realising that some lines are very naughty indeed - and it's still extremely funny.

This is the second of the 'Jules & Sandy' clipettes from Round the Horne. Both CDs are twofers (double cd sets), thus represent excellent length for your laughter. I bought these as a result of a laugh-out-loud Polari clip in the current British Library exhibition on Evolving English.

Many of the extracts work not on double entrendres - that would be too easy - but on triple entrendres. Some comedy of the 50s and 60s haven't aged well: this, like fine wine, gets better. Settle back to enjoy excellent comedy writing (thankyou, Barry Took & Marty Feldman), whip-quick reactions from Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams - and the knowledge that laughter's good for your health.
on 8 June 2017
Great well worth it
on 6 June 2008
This is a classic comedy which I first heard over twenty years ago.My neighbour at the time used to play his Julian and Sandy record on a summer Sunday afternoon with his back door open ( no pun intended) and I could hear him laughing loudly.There aren't that many comedies that make me laugh out loud but this is one. If you homophobic this definitely isn't for you. It doesn't take long to pick up the old "polari" . I think it's FANTABULOSA !
on 26 May 2011
Old Round the Horne favourite, now a bit dated. Gave as a gift.
on 21 October 2003
Julian and Sandy, where to begin? The exuberance, the timing, the head tossing tantrums, it's impossible to stick to Sandy's injunction (I paraphrase): "Don't laugh, Jules, you'll get crows feet" as you'll be reduced to tears of laughter.
Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams. Such fabulous, witty, timeless, irreverent fun.
on 15 September 2011
if you don't have tears running down your cheeks with laughing then you've had a sense of humour bypass! very risque (that's your actual french!!!), very funny, how they got away with it in the 60's is beyond me, if you're feeling a bit down, whip this on and you'll bring a smile to your dolly old eek in no time!