on 1 April 2003
I'm a huge Delia Fan. She is not a 'fad' chef and she presents good recipes and techniques that give a high changes of succeeding.
I had been bought the previous two books and thought they were great really going back to basics but ending up with some pretty top notch recipes. Well presented and well explained.
However, I think this is one book too many and seems to stretch the concept too far. I particularly feel the the chapters on gadgets is a complete waste of time. I don't want to use the latest must have gadget that look good in the kitchen. And none of the recipes really need the gadgets.
44 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 December 2001
This book is an absolute must have. I bought the first two, but in my opinion this is by far the best. There are lots of lovely dishes with very well illustrated photographs. There are also some brilliant low fat recipes, which believe it or not taste good too! This book not only has great recipes but is also laid out in an interesting and informative way which makes it a very good read. The only bad point about this book is that there are so many fantastic recipes, I don't know where to start! If you love cooking you won't be disappointed with this one.
0Comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 January 2002
I found Delias book to be very interesting, and while I had no intention of cooking when I bought the book I was whipped into a frenzy of frying pans and wooden spoons!!!! The pictures are extremely helpful when cooking and I can see exactly what my creation should look like. I think that delia is a good cook and though the ingredients are sometimes impractical Delias instructions are clear as an egg white before beating!!!!
on 10 May 2014
I received the first two books as a gift so thought I'd buy this one to complete the set. I am an experienced cook but still find interesting information and recipes therein.

It is much more useful than the newest (and very poor) edition of the Good Housekeeping Cookery book". I would be inclined to buy this set for a newbie cook who wants to learn but a more experienced cook can learn from DS too.

The copy I bought was a second-hand one but in good condition with a few corners turned down to mark recipes but I don't mind this as I tend to do it myself in cookery books.
on 7 February 2018
No recipes really, just a lot of advice on what you should have in the kitchen to cook. I got this to complete the set but I feel like I wasted money.
on 27 January 2002
In the midst of the Nigels and Nigellas and the Jamies and Garys, it's good to see Delia still up there with the third millennium media cooks. I lost track of her for a while but have always used my grease-sparked edition of the Complete Cookery Course as a no nonsense volume where the recipes are always reliable. After the fuss broke over How To Cook Book 1 when she was teaching us how to cook eggs, it looked like Delia had reinvented herself - a bit like Madonna - well, maybe not quite.
The intriguing thing about Book 3 is that it starts out by looking structured around themes which are quite different from the first two volumes : Books 1 and 2 adopted the traditional approach of chapters relating specifically to food groups, hence chapters on egg, bread, pastry, fish, beef, etc. Then suddenly in Book 3 we start out with almost one third of the book under headings like "equipment for cooks" and "gadgets that work". Fear not, there are great recipes in there under these headings - making the first part of the book perhaps not as immediately browsable as some of her other books when planning a dinner party. But never mind, the approach is interesting - the recipes are still there and we have delightful texts about the cook's hardware as a prelim to those excellent recipes and valuable tips which, yet again, relieve us of the fear of cooking. Soon we are into more familiar territory as we discover food-specific chapter titles including pulses, jams, low cal and puddings. And it's all illustrated with tasteful photos by Miki Duisterhof who worked on Books 1 and 2.
As a longstanding fan, Delia still figures prominently on my cookbookshelf. She may not have Nigel's mouthwatering panache when it comes to writing but it's all very sound, good, reliable - and definitely not boring - stuff. It's a shame she seems to be stopping at Book 3. Surely there's room for a Book 4, Delia, on vegetarian recipes - why limit yourself to just the 30 pages in Book 2? Delia is a cook of our time and will surely come back to offer us more. As a friend of mine put it : Nigella may be a goddess... but Delia is still the queen.
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 July 2013
The book was excellent condition, looked like it had hardly been used. I bought the book for my granddaughter and having looked through the book, I think it is for a more experienced cook. Delia assumes that people know what she is talking about, but I have had phone calls asking me what this ingredient is and what does this mean, so the book is still not basic enough for beginners. After books one and two, it has jumped ahead to much
on 13 January 2018
Brilliant bargain speedy delivery really pleased.
on 11 December 2016
Excellent value and condition. Given as a present for newly married friend who wanted to learn to cook correctly.
on 14 February 2018