Customer reviews

Simple Indian Cookery
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 October 2017
Madhur is always tops. Unequalled.
on 3 February 2013
The recipes are easy to follow and a good mix. Some only need a few ingredients while others are more time consuming and need more ingredients. A good book for someone like myself just starting to be a bit more adventurous with Indian food.
on 8 September 2011
This is an excellent book for people new to Indian cuisine. You do not need complicated equipment or vast ranges of ingredients. Any unfamiliar ingredients and equipment are clearly explained in an easy to access glossary. All the recipes I have tried (5 so far!) have been delicious!
on 28 July 2007
I browsed Amazon while back in the UK last summer, and I wanted to find a book on Indian cuisine which would be simple enough for me to prepare in the Middle East, where I spend much of the year.
I decided to check out Madhur Jaffrey's titles, who else but our Guru of Indian cuisine? I was happy to find this BBC published title, and even more so when I saw the word "Simple" on the cover!
I enjoy reading about, cooking and eating Indian food, and have admired many of the wonderful dishes prepared on the BBC TV series. With the book in my hand I decided to try them for myself. Mango Lassi was a winner, and the Kebab recipe turned out perfectly. I would really like to commend Madhur Jaffrey, as her book is exactly as it says on the cover. Simple.
I am now browsing Amazon for another Madhur Jaffrey publication. All of her books sound fantastic. If you are, as I am, a "Newbie" to cooking Indian at home, you will certainly find this book to be exactly what you are looking for.
This book has also been published under a different title, Madhur Jaffrey's Foolproof Indian Cookery (Foolproof Cookery)
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2005
The only indian recipe book I owned before this was a hand-me-down from my Mum in the 70's written by an indian chef - all very uninspiring and dull, dull, dull. Then Madhur Jaffrey came to the rescue. Being a lover of indian food and an avid collector of cookbooks (much to my husbands annoyance as he has to keep putting new shelves up) I cannot rate this book highly enough. All of the recipes are easy to make and simply delicious. I've splattered more ingredients over it's well worn cover, spine and recipe pages than any other book - the sign of a successful cookbook if there ever was one.
The only downside is that I've run out of new recipes to try (hence only 4 stars - more recipes would have been great). I'm upgrading to one of Madhur's bigger tomes next and I can't wait.
This book is a fantastic introduction to Madhur Jaffrey. It leaves you wanting more and brings satisfaction and life to any dinner table. Highly, highly recommended. This is hot stuff. Buy it - you won't regret it!
on 6 October 2009
A nice cook book with plenty of easy to follow recipes for everyday cooking. I highly recommend the recipes for the bombay potato and pillao rice. A must for lovers of Indian cooking who don't want to spend a fortune and follow about 100 different instrtuctions
on 16 January 2006
I have never cooked a meal in my life and I'm 25 years old. I needed an Indian cookbook that would enable me to make nice dishes easily and effectivley. This book has done it! I have made 3 fish dishes and a soup and all have turned out great (my friends and family have applauded my efforts). I recommned this book to all newbies in cooking. If you're a little more experienced then this book may not be for you. Now I'm off to find the next book up and try something a little more intricate!
on 9 April 2009
If you like Indian food this is the recipe book for you, the recipes are so easy to follow and the food tastes so good, better than Indian meal we've paid for. Ingredients needed for the recipes can all be bought at supermarkets. Just a fantastic cook book!
on 5 July 2017
Would have preferred more recipes inside.
on 4 April 2015
Madhur Jaffrey writes the best Indian Cooker books. I was given one many years ago and have used her books ever since. I was scared the book would fall to pieces and so bought another one. I would recommend this book.