Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 2013
I cannot say anything bad about the book or the CDs themselves. It was also delivered on time and came well packaged.
Why only 3 stars?: The lessons move on very slowly, which is nice for a total beginner or people who just need basics and aren't very confident at learning a new language. However, I feel like its a bit slow and simple for me, even though I am a complete beginner. If you quickly grasp a subject, you might wanne get something a bit more intensive. Also, every single audio lesson gets introduced with a strange 90s style melody which quickly goes on your nerves, but thats a minor problem.
Overall it's still a good product.
on 11 January 2013
My partner is struggling with learning Frenchfor his job, so gave him this as an early Christmas present. Although it is material he already knows, the little bite size chunks have given him the chance to practice and repeat and his French has certainly improved. He would give it 5 stars, I know. It is presented in an unintimidating way and covers useful material for tourists to France. I am not sure how a total beginner would get on, but for a learn at home programme, I think it is very good.
on 2 May 2011
I have been listening to the CD's in the car as they can be used independently from the book and they are very easy to use and listen to. Then I look at book when I get chance. Very pleased with this as an absolute beginner.
on 28 July 2010
I use this book for small classes of adults and it's fantastic. It starts with easy language for complete beginners, and builds up - but even at the end it's still pretty simple. All the topics covered are useful. It's good value too.

There's no grammar overload: it's all about listening and talking, so good for travellers, and for people who just want to have fun with their language learning. (Not likely to be great if you're taking it seriously and thinking about exams in future).

The CD is useful too and the website has some good stuff although it's not always obviously linked to the same 'curriculum' as the book.
on 31 July 2010
Great book..easy to follow and I even managed within 3 weeks to learn enough basic French to understand what people were saying and also say little bits myself!
on 6 November 2010
very easy to use--handy for real starters to french like me. Gives a chance to practice and listen to how it should sound!
on 25 October 2011
This book really is for beginners with simple introductions and phrases, for this its is ok, although i think it could explain things a bit better- for me its too basic- but for total beginners i can see it as a useful aide.

If you after something post beginners I recommend French talk 2
on 23 October 2012
The BBC Talk Language series seems to be the preferred choice for classes for adults new to the language and I used the Italian version successfully last year. It made my trip earlier this year to Sardinia more interesting and rewarding, so this year I've ventured into French.
Online backup from the BBC is very good and helpful in all languages but I would counsel buyers to purchase the package including accompanying CDs, as it helps the repetition of more difficult phrases, on the move if necessary, without having to use a PC.
You will not be fluent after this course but you will have a basic knowledge of the language which makes travelling more fun and appreciated by locals.
As usual,Amazon have very competitive prices and free delivery was within the promised time.
on 25 February 2014
This book and CD are used in my french lessons so great to review what I did in class. Easy listening for pronunciation and hands on writing and reading in the booklet.
on 14 November 2013
I bought this book and CD because I am on a French for beginners course and the tutor suggested it. You certainly need the CD as you need to listen it for the answers to some of the sections. I am an absolute beginner so find it is at the right level for me, I suspect anyone with a small knowledge of the language would need to skip through to the later sections. I would recommend it for an absolute beginner, so many seem to thow you in to quickly before you have learnt the basics, you do feel as if you are making real progress.