The book is divided into twenty chapters which gradually build your knowledge up from nil to a reasonable level of competence. Each chapter covers a 'situation' (such as in a cafe, booking a room etc) and includes conversation pieces (to go with the cassettes and TV programmes), vocab, references to simple grammar and exercises. The structure is such that it is fine as a self study aid on its own or in conjenction with other material.
on 6 June 2000
I have successfully taught using this book for several years. It covers useful topics in a clear and interesting way. It has a wealth of exercises to practice your new-found knowledge. Grammar is introduced gently but thoroughly. It is a traditional style book and lacks the coloured pictures which newer books have but it is easy to follow and well presented. My only criticism is that the prices given as examples in the book are out of date making everything too cheap so don't be shocked when you go to Italy! The tapes are very useful and offer further practice. The book is user friendly and my students and I highly recommend it.
on 24 February 2012
I went to nightclass over 10 years ago using the earlier version of this course. We ran out of time before we completed it unfortunately, but I kept the books and the tapes. Having rediscovered them I decided to update the book - not lire anymore of course - and started again. I also got the CD's to replace the tapes and they help considerably. It is amazing how much I actually remembered and the book is very similar to the earlier version but better set out, obviously more modern and I am thoroughly enjoying learning again. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is keen to learn this beautiful language, if you are undecided about the CD's, buy them, they are so helpful and fun too - dont know when I will use the language, but loving the challenge and the achievements.
on 3 April 2001
I found this book a great help for studying at home. I go to evening classes once a week where we use 'Italianissimo' the BBC course. I find this a much better book to get along with. Being an adult in fulltime work its hard to find time to study.This is easy and practical, it gives me confidence.I find that it teaches me in such a way that I can retain the information.Ideal for conversational Italian and getting by on hloiday.
on 18 July 2017
Terrific language course, makes learning Italian a pure delight
on 19 March 2017
a useful addition to my Italian conversation class.
on 14 April 2017
Really useful
on 28 October 2014
Just what I wanted.
on 19 August 2009
When I first visited Italy as a touring musician, many years ago, I felt embarrassed at my limited musicians' Italian vocabulary and set myself the task of learning enough to get by and be understood for my next trip there. Having tried various phrase books and been dissatisfied with the fact that the parrot-like approach of the 'quick-fix' phrase book never gets you close to real understanding, I came across Buongiorno Italia. This was several years ago now, when the excellent course book came with cassettes and conversation in shops was still centred around Lira.

In my work I spend lots of time in the car and so used the cassettes extensively on long journeys, including joining in with the conversation practice when requested. When I arrived home or got to a hotel I would read through some of the text I'd listened to during my journey and was amazed at how much had sunk in.

Now, a few years later, we no longer have cassette players, either in the house or the car. So I decided to plump for the updated course book and CDs. I have to say they have got even better. Some of the material has been updated - including conversations based on Euro! - and the CDs were a delight to use.

With just a couple of weeks' refresher I found my confidence and understanding grew quickly with the conversational language the course is centred on and I was able to put it into good use during our recent holiday in Stresa - one of the settings for some of the book's practice material.

I can't recommend the Buongiorno Italia! language pack strongly enough, for anyone wanting a good, practical introduction to spoken and written Italian. If you follow it all the way through - and of course it's up to the reader to decide how much of the book to study - you will get way beyond a beginner's level and will find you can tackle a range of written and conversational situations. Highly recommended.
on 27 April 2011
As always with BBC language course books excellent aid to learning. clear, concise & relevent to modern day Italian. would recommend you buy the cd's to accompany the book