on 11 June 2016
This is a review of the Kindle edition.

I do (historically) have a little bit of French, so I only needed an aide-memoire. This isn't it. It has howlers, non-sequiturs, grammatical fails, and omissions all over the place.

When you go to the chemists for suntan lotion, try not to ask for "de lait solaire de preservatifs". Also, if you want to enjoy the company of a lovely French lady, don't go equipped with "de tampons".

There are many occasions where this book makes it harder for the tourist than it needs to be.. All this "est-ce que" stuff is just a confusing waste of breath when we've all watched enough Aussie soaps to know about the interrogative inflection. Some of the grammar is shocking too.

I'm pretty sure the person whose name is on the cover of this book knows the French for "phoning it in to the intern". The intern hasn't been to France.
on 5 July 2014
Yes, I really this pocket BBC French Phrase Book. I don't speak French, didn't get French at school, so I found this book really very helpful for a beginner like me. Sections in the book are colour coded: eg. The basics, Food & Drink, Sightseeing & Activities, Accommodation, Travel & Transport, Shops & Services, Health & Safety, Pronunciation Guide, Basic Grammar, A French-English-French dictionary is at the back of the book. Also all these section have about 9-10 sub-sections, 1-2 pages for each sub-section. For example under 'Travel & Transport there is... [Arriving in the country, Directions, Information & Tickets, Trains, Buses & Coaches, Underground, Boats & Ferries, Taxis, Hiring Cars & Bicycles, Driving, Mechanical Problems, Car parts. Each sub section.
Words/sentences are also in phonetic spelling/sounding, and other handy little helps.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 August 2013
This compact, extremely helpful, little phrase book is a must for a holiday in France. It is an excellent aid to refreshing any existing French language skills, and in the absence of any at all, will ensure you are not left high and dry in day to day situations, such as hiring a car, shopping, and general sightseeing.

Top marks.
on 26 March 2011
I used this book on a recent holiday and it was great. It's well laid out with categories such as travel, Shopping and the basics like numbers, days and months. It also includes an English-French dictionary and vice versa. It also has phrases you might hear back and phonetically tells you how to pronounce the words. It was a great boon to me and I'd often have a quick look before embarking on a conversation. It's small size means it fits easily in your pocket.
on 4 September 2012
It's along time since I learned French at secondary school.

This great little book, logically laid out and with helpful pronunciation guidance was really helpful on a recent fortnight in France, especially making the most of great food in the local markets.

Very portable so always had it with us wherever we were and used it every day. A real confidence booster.
on 3 July 2014
Very good phrasebook bought for family accompanying us on our holiday. Very clear and easy to use. Could have larger print for those that now need reading glasses, otherwise is exactly the size and type of phrasebook we were looking for.
on 11 April 2014
Another school requested book..ideal school size, also used this on holiday..ideal for the kids to use, and came in handy a few times, practical for carrying in your bag and taking with you when on trips out or out for an evening meal..
on 20 July 2013
My order arrived quickly and looks to be a useful little helper for future trips to France. I haven't taken it abroad with me since buying so haven't been able to test it out,hence not giving it 5*, but it seems to have most phrases and words I might need.
on 12 December 2012
Read reviews and decided this was the one for my 92 year old mother-in-law who is going to spend a holiday in France next summer and wanted to understand the basics of the language. She is loving it and finds it so accessible and easy to use and is already confident enough to try phrases. Great book and pocket sized.
on 30 May 2014
I have no French language at all,, but this is a very good phrase book to have when travelling through France. I especially like the pronunciation guides, as I do speak Spanish and it stops me from any confusion with the correct sounds.