Customer reviews

on 13 August 2017
excellent
on 10 April 2014
Usual thoughts on opening Delia's cookbooks are "I could make that" Not so with her fish collection.
The mournful black cover showing two dead fish is not an encouragement to open it. The precis of the book on the cover says 'an accessible library of favourites' I wonder whose favourites?
The recipes seem more complicated than usual; the print is not easy to read because it is pale; the ingredients not higlighted in Bold as in some books.
So far (one week of ownership) I have not been tempted to try a recipe out. Just hoping when I do that will become a favourite.
on 4 May 2010
I love fish and frequently choose it when eating out but had always found it strangely scarey to cook...

Not any more! A great selection of recipes from the relatively safe waters of "Californian" grilled fish to the deeper waters of monkfish, or Skate Wings with Caper Salsa (delicious - my favourite). I have a lot of Delia's books already, but it is great to have all the fish recipes collected together in one place, and these books are very stylishly produced with a colour photo for each recipe, and each recipe on its own page. I'm aiming to try every recipe in the book over this summer...
on 30 January 2004
I thought this book would be full of weird and wonderful fish recipes, but it's not. I haven't had any difficulty finding any of the fish for the recipes (recipes are included for halibut, squid, cod, haddock, lemon or dover sole, plaice, herring, mackerel, kippers, salmon,trout, sardines, skate wings, smoked haddock, smoked salmon, tuna, rainbow trout and whiting and hake are mentioned as optional ones - I find even my local supermarket stocks these). There's even a recipe for tinned salmon fishcakes along with all the dinner party type recipes. I'm also dying to try the foaming hollandaise recipe - I've never heard of it before. All in all, I'm thrilled with this book - up to Delia's usual high standard.
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2009
I'm afraid I've been a Delia food snob for years, always sneering at her cooking on tv and in her recipe books. Although I'm a good cook, I'm very close to being a novice with cooking fish and I wanted something simple to give me a start. This book is EXCELLENT.

I won't say I'm a Delia convert, but if you're not used to fish-cooking then I must recommend this book. My favourite was "Oriental Steamed Fish with Ginger, Soy Sauce and Sesame, but I also strongly recommend "Oven-Baked Mackerel Stuffed With Pesto Mash". YUM.

I especially liked the book as there is no shellfish in it and I don't eat shellfish. Chapters are headed: WHITE FISH; SALMON AND TROUT; OILY AND OTHER FISH; and SMOKED FISH. All the fish were easy to get hold of in the local supermarket and so were all the necessary ingredients. Something us provincials appreciate.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2003
Of the four new Delia books (Chicken, Soup, Chocolate and Fish) this is the only one I was dissapointed with.
Some of the recipes are too complex and the fish is hard to find (even from a fishmongers).
I have got better fish books and I strongly recommend any of her other books but this is not that good.
Ok but not up to her normal standard.
on 6 January 2006
some mouthwatering recipe's- i should know- i bought it for my mum, who keeps cooking scrummy thigs from it! great birthday or xmas pressie!
on 8 June 2014
The book was about fish and not seafood which was what I wanted. It met my expectations and was the first "Delia" book I have purchased. Very pleased with it.
on 13 June 2015
Great - a present for my Mum's birthday. She's bored with her usual recipes and trying to cook more fish to be healthy. Delia always produces reliable options.
on 20 July 2015