on 23 September 2016
Big Doctor Who fan i discovered this story made for radio purely by accident i was a big Fan of Jon Pertwees Doctor. I own all the DVD adventures and still listen to classical Doctor who stories on Big finish audio as i think the modern take on Doctor who is high quality garbage. Sadly Jon Pertwee had passed away before Big Finish had evolved. so it was great for me to discover this and one other audio adventure that Jon Pertwee did for BBC radio(Paradise of Death) both with The Brigadier and Sarah Jane this story Ghosts of N Space is brilliant its eerie and best listened to at night in a quiet room. If you like Classical Doctor Who you will love this GEM.
on 3 June 2014
This seems to be taken up with endless scenes of one character either describing in detail what another is doing like some sort of demented John Motson ("oh, Maximilian's knocked the Doctor to the ground! Now he's getting up...") or else talking to themselves about what they're doing. Worst, probably, is where they're obliged by the script to mutter under their breath their thoughts about the person next to them, while the other characters gamely plays deaf. The decision to have some characters switch accents as the story progresses is also a bit odd (especially as a couple of Americans revealed to be really Italian signify this change by... adopting English accents). I followed it though but I imagine it caused problems for many.

The rather empty positive to this, is that at least it's not marring an otherwise good story or plot. Straight from the off, we're basically on a six part, three hour, trek through the fundamentals of the Buddhist conception of the afterlife (or, rather, the Buddhist interim stage where souls are purged of their negative emotions and regrets, through suffering, before being reborn to the world to try again). Delivered more subtly, this might have worked, but it really is laid on incredibly thickly.

The supernatural has always been a troublesome story topic for DW anyway. It works well when allowed to effectively be a supernatural menace with some pseudoscientific rationale thrown out and then, effectively, ignored (as with the 'alien' werewolf in Tooth and Claw) and best of all when the Doctor basically hangs a lampshade on it (such as Girl in the Fireplace and his admission his scientific explanation is simply his avoiding having to call it a 'magic door'). But N-Space falls into the same irritating stance as The Daemons, where the Doctor routinely tuts and chides people for believing in Hell, or demons, then goes on to describe what is, in every possible way, the exact same thing.

There's some attempt at innovation, structurally, but it doesn't really come off. In a stroke on Proto Timey Wimeism, Sarah Jane finds a book that describes, pretty much exactly, the next three episodes' worth of adventures for the Doctor. Then the Doctor goes back in time and spends three episodes acting them out, just as described. This is... not terribly exciting or dramatic.

On the plus side, the older Pertwee continues on from Paradise of Death is being a kinder, gentler, more lovable figure and the greatest shame is that he didn't get more of a chance to bring this vision, so to speak, of his Doctor to more, and better, stories. Traditionally, I really strongly dislike the Third Doctor as a character so it means a lot when I say I'd have loved more from Pertwee after this. And, again, the version of the Brigadier appearing here is a no-nonsense, unflappable man of action; courageous, smart and adept at dealing with the most bizarre situations with a no nonsense attitude. He's great. It's a shame it's spoiled by him spending quite so much of his gun battles against gigantic interdimensional fiends and ghostly monks talking to himself to describe what he's shooting at. Oddly, Jeremy is one of the best things in the play. He still seems faintly pointless (you could excise him from the script entirely and it wouldn't change a thing) but he's had a natural evolution from a coward to an unhappy coward - one of those characters who is self-aware and hates their own limitations. It would have been interesting to see where Letts would have brought him next had this strand of plays continued. I suspect his character arc would have been as a kind of posh twit version of Mickey -- inspired to greater heroism by the Doctor and Sarah's examples.
on 12 December 2012
I bought this originally on audio cassette and I was gutted when the machine chewed it up!!

The Doctor, Sarah Jane and the Brigadier are drawn to a small island. Sightings of ghosts and other ghastly apparitions have been increasing and the very fabric of time is under threat. Can the Doctor and his trusty companions save mankind and the universe?

I have waited quite a while for this adventure to be available and I'm very glad it's on cd!!
2 people found this helpful
on 14 March 2013
I agree with the previous positive reviews. It is well acted, a professional BBC production and an enjoyable listen. I have listened to this story several times and still enjoy it. One for any Doctor Who collection.
on 5 May 2014
I've just revisited this story for the first time since its original release. A touch of nostalgia at hearing Jon Pertwee in the role again after so long - I am familiar with most of his TV stories from watching VHS/DVDs a few times each so revisiting this story for the first time was fun. Doctor Who these days is mostly "a complete adventure in one sitting". I approached this one rather like it was originally intended - listening to it in episodic form with a few days between each one. The negatives of the production are captured by other reviewers but here are the positives...

Jon Pertwee was a natural radio actor and I think he excels and revels in this story. His dialogue is spot on as well - Barry Letts did not let him down with his lines. They are classic third Doctor. Many other writers provide generic lines which could be uttered by any of the incarnations but Letts gives us very specific Pertwee patter. Elisabeth Sladen and Nick Courtney slot back into their roles with ease too.

Aside from the creative issues which, as I say, are covered elsewhere in these reviews, I have a download version of the story and the sound is not that great. I'd be tempted to buy the CD if it was re-released at a reasonable price.
on 1 February 2017
Pertwee, Sladen and Courtney all give great performances and manage to lift what would be an otherwise average production. Letts once again employs Doctor Who as an opportunity to explore Buddhist principles and in this case the afterlife in particular. Some fo the accents are stilted but thankfully we are not over exposed to these. Set in 1974, listening to this really does take you back to the days of Doctor Who in the early seventies.
on 23 August 2000
This audio often doesn't seem to get particularly good reviews, but I really can't say why. I am very critical of my Dr Who and I really enjoyed this (and The Paradise of Death). Its not perfect, but it is very enjoyable. Jon Pertwee and Elizabeth Sladen are both very good. The latter is a superb companion, whom I always enjoy for her enthusiasm and enjoyment which somehow succeeds in not seeming out of place even when stories are unpleasent for her. The baddies may seem to parody those (mad meglomaniac) expected in Dr Who, but are very enjoyable.
13 people found this helpful
on 11 August 2007
I don't understand why this audio production has so many bad reviews. I guess you either love it or hate it.

Paradise of Death was abominable indeed, but Ghosts of N-Space is excellent (for audio, that is; it couldn't possibly work in any other medium). It's wonderfully atmospheric, contains more than its fair share of historical and cultural allusions, some great lines, and nice plot twists.

Sure, some aspects of the plot and characters are silly, but in the GOOD sense of the word "silly". Despite the depth of some decorative aspects of the production (such as the allusions), Ghosts of N-Space is at heart light entertainment, not meant to be taken too seriously. Just lie back and enjoy the ride.

I am one Doctor Who fan who believes that Ghosts of N-Space represents Doctor Who at its very best.
7 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2003
I didn't think it could be any worse than Paradise of Death.
But I was wrong .
This is the bottom of the barrel.
The plot is so complex with so many in and outs that I was lost by Episode 3.
The BIG cock -up was the Brigadier having an Italian uncle.
The brigadier hasn't got a ounce of Italian blood in him, Barry Letss must have been struggling for Ideas.
Anyway the plot is the Brig's Italian uncle Mario ( with a very dodgy Italian acent) is being haunted.
And the Doc, Sarah, and the still annoying Jeremy get roped in.
They need to go back into the past to find out the where the Ghosts come from. N-Space. What a stereo type name.
Anyway they go into the 14th Century, and you have to remeber what happend there ( I mean every detail ) to have a clue what happens in the 16th Century, and then there back in the 20th Century.
Goodness knows how the public must have kept up with having a week gap between episodes.
I mean I was confused listening to one episode after the other.
No. Only buy this if you want to top up your collection.
It's awful and does Dr Who no credit at all.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 30 August 2000
I'm afraid this story has very few redeeming factors. I certainly do admire Barry Letts television work. The Daemons is one of my favourite Doctor Who stories, however he doesn't quite cut it with the audio medium. The Paradise Of Death is marginally better than this but I wouldn't recommend that either.
3 people found this helpful