Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2003
This book is a sheer delight with poems to suit every taste from the traditional 'Daffodils' to the more contemporary 'When I Am An Old Woman'. You'll find poems to move you and poems to make you laugh, poems that you will remember from schooldays and poems you've never read before. This is a book to dip in and out of as the whim takes you. A 'must have' on any poetry lovers bookshelf.
on 23 August 2003
I bought this after participating in an acting course where one of the criteria was to bring along a poem. I hated poems at school and certainly had no interest in them after leaving. However, after purchasing this book and finding a new appreciation for poems I was surprised to find myself dipping in to the book when a quite moment arose and to find that I knew some of the poems such as "If" and "Chocolate Cake". It also kept the in-laws (whom were already into poetry) busy for a while, when they came over to visit. This is a great book for all degrees of appreciation.
on 21 November 1999
Remember all those scraps of favorite poetry from school-days? They're all here, plus a few more of everyone else's favorites, which you'll probably love too. The kind of anthology you can dip into anywhere, and find something to raise a smile or provoke thought.
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2009
Brought this after watching the BBC series. There is a forward by G R Jones which is interesting and which acknowledges the Unknown Soldier poem (do not stand by my grave and weep).

They are in order of most votes so Rudyard Kiplings 'If' is number 1. Also there is a first line and author index at the back. This is really helpful because sometimes you just cant place your favourite.

This is a very well worn copy, I have read a few to my kids, and am very proud that they can recite Leisure, Tyger, Daffodils. I also brought Nation favourite love poems and poems of childhood but this is by far my favourite. The audio version is also very good and features John Nettles and is well worth considering.
on 30 April 2009
First of all this is an excellent collection of some of our greatest poets and their poetry. This book offers the top 100 poems from a poll conducted to find the nation's favourite. Although the number one choice, `If...' by Rudyard Kipling, isn't my choice it's still a great poem and there are some of my favourite poets in there including Blake, Keats and Byron.

I believe there is also a commentary available for the collection which has Bergerac (John Nettles) reading some of the poems. If you like this then you will probably like `The Nation's Favourite Comic Poems'.
on 9 November 2006
A classic collection of some of the best poems ever written in one thoroughly enjoyable book. All the biggest names and titles from the world of poetry are there, making this a colection with a poem for every mood and occasion.

Whether you want to stretch your mind, provoke your thoughts, or merely delight in the composition of some exquisite works of words, I'm sure you will enjoy this!

Declan Mullan.
on 23 August 2003
I bought this after participating in an acting course where one of the criteria was to bring along a poem. I hated poems at school and certainly had no interest in them after leaving. However, after purchasing this book and finding a new appreciation for poems I was surprised to find myself dipping in to the book when a quite moment arose and to find that I knew some of the poems such as “If” and “Chocolate Cake”. It also kept the in-laws (whom were already into poetry) busy for a while, when they came over to visit. This is a great book for all degrees of appreciation.
on 31 October 2009
All the old favourites I remember from school, and many others that are now new favourites. A wonderful read.
on 13 November 2011
I wouldn't be without this anthology, I loved it so much that I decided to give a copy to my friend but was unable to find one, so gave him mine and ordered another from Amazon.

There is an index of the first lines of each poem and another with the title and the poet's name, so it is easy to find what you want. The poems are varied:- ancient, modern, popular classics, war-poems, childhood poems - something for everyone. I now have favourites that I never knew before and certainly would never had learned at school! Amongst the beautiful, tragic, wistful or dramatic poems there are some which will have you smiling.... try number 56 - "This Be the Verse", by Philip Larkin". If you want a good cry, try number 19 - "Stop All the Clocks" by W. H. Auden.
on 16 December 2008
I love the fact that the poems are so varied, and this book contains so many I thought I had forgotten.

I too remember 'Chocolate Cake' from years ago.

Books like this help people to really appreciate poetry.