Customer reviews

on 18 March 2017
Great book in good condition.
on 12 June 2017
Exactly as described, arrived quickly
on 26 March 2017
Book arrived in excellent condition and Grandson loved it
on 27 August 2003
The book is designed to accompany the BBC documentary series The Blue Planet. However, it certainly deserves to be considered on its own as a very well produced book on the natural history of our marine environment. It is divided into the chapters that mirror the documentary series and there is a wealth of information that is not discussed in the TV program. The photographic images of the deep sea inhabitants and the open ocean fish are incredible.
The text is very readable, informative and scientific and up to the usual BBC standard.
The photos , diagrams and print quality are superb. I do not particularly like the insets that are distributed throughout the pages to focus in on a particular subject or point. Although they are very informative, they tend to distract the reader from his/her train of thought.
A must for anyone interested in the natural history of our oceans.
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2003
I also have not seen the TV series, but I from reading this book, I can see that the BBC have produced yet another fascinating adventure for us. This book highlights so many amazing facts, but best of all, it is not just the run-of-the-mill stuff but all sorts of information and pictures that I have never encountered elsewhere.
This does a great job of maintaining the tradition set by earlier series, especially those involving Sir David Attenborough. My favourite parts were the chapters devoted to the bizarre deep sea creatures and the photos of cute baby penguins and seals, but also the explanations of how our climate is affected by the ocean.
This book can be used as an interesting read, an occasional dip, or as a reference for specific questions. I still prefer my Trials of Life book, but the Blue Planet is still an engrossing volume.
on 29 November 2001
This book is absolutely brilliant. The exquisite photography accompanying the infomative text is an absolute must for anyone who enjoyed the television series. As a student I found it very interesting but it is designed for anyone of any age with an interest in the subject matter. The BBC did a grand job on the series and the book emphasises this ten fold. Well done the beeb
on 27 September 2001
Well I was seduced by the hype and duly tuned in to the TV and was smitten. TV being the ephemeral thing that it is I thought I'd try the book and it's great. The text's informative and the photos beyond compare. Buy.
on 24 May 2017
Great book but full of lies promoting evolution and the globe. Full of God's "miracles". The earth is flat and still and created by God as stated in the KJV Bible.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 September 2013
This must be one of the biggest and chunkiest BBC books that I own and well worth the money. 7 chapters, each broken down into 3-4 sub-sections. It is engaging and educational. Littered with beautiful photography it takes you around the seas, out into the oceans and deep down where sunlight cannot reach. It lacks the quantity of full page high quality images of some of the other BBC books, but I guess that leaves more room for reading material - I do like my pictures!

The book starts with a foreword by the infamous Sir David Attenborough then you have a layout map of the oceans to give you a sense of where you are when reading. As you read you are given topic links to other pages. So if for eg there is a mention of a whale, a topic link is shown and directs you to another page further reading. It can have you jumping around a book, but then this is just as much a reference book as a cover to cover reading book.

If you are a fan of the BBC series of shows, I would recommend building up a collection of books to go with them. I have mentioned this in previous reviews; don't overlook the market place for second hand books. These type of books tend to get read once and you can pick up some very good quality copies for a lot less than new.
on 5 November 2002
Not having seen the TV programme probably puts me in a minority, but having heard all the hype I bought the book regardless. It is impossible to over-stress the merits of this publication. It could be used for entertaining young children, educating budding young naturalists, a topical reference book for teachers, scientists and lay-persons alke, or simply a book for the coffee table to entertain guests and provide help answering these tricky green Trivial Pursuit questions!
It is bueatifully presented, both scientifically and asthetically, and will provide endless hours of enjoyment because you will always return to look at your favourite pictures time and time again.