on 26 November 2014
Floyd really is one of the great chefs, it is a shame he has gone out of flavour of late. his cooking is fresh exciting and fun.
on 22 May 2015
Excellent as all his books are RIP Floyd
on 28 March 2017
Great book in true Floyd style with some great French classics.
on 13 September 2017
Great thank you
on 20 March 2017
As described
on 6 November 2002
If you ever buy one cook book on French Cuisine, this should be it.

Sumptuous recipes from Keith's time living in rural France where I belive he engrossed himself in the culture for several years to find the most authentic versions of some very well known and several lesser known dishes. He must surely be one of very few foreigners to set up a restaurant serving French food to the French gaining a reputation for excellence even there!

The book is the result of this time in France and clearly demonstrates his devotion to quality and excellence with some truly magnificent recipes. My butcher now knows when I'm doing a Floyd recipe without my having to tell him - where else do you use three different cuts of beef for texture and flavour or two bottles of Burgundy, madeira and armagnac to create a superbly rich Boeuf Bourgignon?
From a simple but delicious pot au feu to a more involved Christmas cake from the Auvergne, all are worth a go if you are anything of a cook.
... and the glass of wine while you do it is obligatory!
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2007
In the highly unlikely event that I am ever appointed Dictator, one of my first acts will be to garnish with the ermine Keith Floyd (Lord Floyd of Chandos, perhaps, in commemoration of the address of his restaurant in Bristol, unhappily departed by the time I was a student in that city) for services to gastronomy. I'd then appoint him Minister of Food with draconian powers to do dreadful things to fast food restaurants and TV dinner manufactures.

This book on its own justifies ennoblement.

A slim volume but one packed with a wealth of excellent recipes and anecdote. The book froths with Floyd's enthusiasm for food and France. The dishes range from the simple ("Easy Hollandaise Sauce") to the complex ("Whole Duck Terrine") and include a range of French classics (Coq au Vin, Cassoulet) that one sees done well so seldom. Just as good as the recipes are Floyd's comments and insights.

I own four copies: one for me and one for each of the three gîtes we own in the hope that our guests might be inspired. Bluntly, I think that this is the best book of French cooking published in English.

For reasons that baffle me, this book is no longer in print. Second hand copies are still available, but it would be nice if the publishers took it upon themselves to issue another edition. Maybe they could coincide it with Floyd's elevation to the peerage.
on 11 March 2014
Perhaps the most accomplished of all his cook books, "Floyd on France" is one of those that you just have to have on your shelf. I managed to track my copy down through a second hand seller and I'm glad I did.

Although it's quite specialist ingredients that you have to procure if you are going to follow the recipes, I love the back ground to the book and the adventures that Keith shares with you on the way. He was certainly a unique character and I find this particular offering to be a real guilty pleasure. It evokes some great memories for me of younger days when "political correctness" did not rule behaviour and old rakes and raconteurs had more grace and panache than today.

I'm still trying to perfect my bouillabaisse, probably because I mimic Keith Floyd and have a glass of vino in one hand during the whole process !

Great fun.
on 18 May 2017
Typical floyd an excellent cook and personality good book in very good condition. Very prompt service quick delivery.
on 6 February 2002
The beef bourgignon is outstanding and our all-time No. 1 recipe. Mind you, 2 bottle of burgundy and marinading overnight means it's not quick or cheap. But then quality things rarely are. Try it just with some warm french bread to soak up the glorious juices. Heaven. Get your greens by starting with a Perigord salad - another favourite recipe.
Written with a typical Floyd style (no Delia-type detailed instructions here) so maybe not for complete beginners. But some cracking, robust dishes. Cheers Mr Floyd !