on 29 June 2000
I couldn't imagine an easier way of getting into Chinese cuisine than this extraordinarily easy to follow book. All the recipes work right the first time. They are the clearest I have ever encountered in any cook book - and the results are by no means banal. My battered copy of this book is one of the most treasured books in the house and even though I much enjoy Ken Hom's other books, this remains the one I most often use.
on 28 November 1999
I was first introduced to Ken Homs Chinese Cookery as a single man in 1990 and I instantly found that I could master the recipes with ease. What a success this book was and is. The introduction on equipment and ingredients nessitated, for me a trip to London's Soho and China Town to avoid being ripped off at my local supermarket but no complains there! Then stright into the recipies themselves. I think it is true to say that I have yet to find a recipe that has failed to give the desired results. I was able to entertain guests with ease by combining recipes to create a formidable banquette yet at the same time the book could be used to create a quick and easy meal for one from whatever I had to hand.
Ken Hom's style comes through in this book more strongly than any other I have seen since. His enthusiasm for his "native" cuisine is obvious and his childhood reminiscences literally add flavour. In my kitchen at least it is easy to spot the cookery books worthy of a second glance, they are the ones that are battered, dog eared and clearly well used. Ken Homs Chinese Cookery is such a book, I have even resorted to purchasing a new copy in case of disaster. The only thing missing from this book is a good recipe for Crispy "seaweed" which I believe is made from Spring greens and I have yet to manage to make a good bed of soft noodles with crispy edges for Char Sui (fond memories of Le Ho Fook in the 80's). Maybe one day. Despite this an excellent staple for any kitchen whether Chinese becomes your main cuisine, as it did for me or you just need a book for those occasional ideas.
on 10 October 2009
This is an excellent book, but unfortunately almost identical to one I already own, which was one of the original Ken Hom Books which dates back to 1984. However, this is also the most used of my cookery books, so much so I had worn the original out and recently replaced it. I then ordered this book as I thought it was a new one. I am not disappointed as it will make a fabulous present for someone!! One of the best cookery books on the market.
on 10 January 2010
My wife wanted this for christmas so i got it for her.
We have already tried several of the recipes from it.
My daughter prepared dishes from it and said they were easy to understand and the results were delicious.
on 7 October 2013
Both my wife and both love Chinese food but up till the purchase of this book had never tried to make it ourselves
We have had great fun experimenting and up till now everything has turned out well
Would recommend this book to anyone
on 17 January 2013
A very nice book, which can also teach you cooking techniques and secrets. The recipes are brilliant and they range from really simple ones with easily found ingredients to very elaborate with hard to find ones.

On the minus side, it lacks color photos like my favorite Simple Chinese Cooking
on 20 April 2013
My BBC book died its own death, this was a good book to replace it with recipes are easy to make and follow, also rather informative book.
on 23 February 2012
Would recommend getting one of his more complete books instead but for 1p I havent got the gall to criticise, an absolute steal 10/10. Book was in good quality also
on 24 February 2013
If you enjoy cooking Chinese meals then this is perfect. I really like Ken Hom's books, they're easy to understand and his recipies are so tasty.
on 26 January 2016
Had this book for years and after all the other Chinese cookbooks out there, this is one of the best for classic Chinese cooking. Authentic recipes and way much better than the takeaway food poor England has been exposed to. How Chinese food should be!