on 30 December 2017
The classic British curry cookbook based on the BBC series from decades ago, brought up to date. We've moved on a bit with our knowledge of Asian cookery since then, calling things by the names we know them by in restaurants, for example, keema is called mince here.

It's no worse for that, in fact the previous version is what got us all cooking curries. I've been using the Hairy Bikers curry book for 4 years now (worth its weight in saffron), but fancied trying some new recipes.

Whoever reads the preamble In a recipe book- just cut to the food, OK? Well, in this one, it's worth it, just to see where the British have developed in their love of 'foreign' food. Some good fusion stuff in here, pork chipolatas Indian style anyone?

Weights and measures are done in both metric and imperial (but not US) so good if you are of an older generation.

Al your standard curry house dishes are there with substitutions for different types of meat e.g beef for lamb.

Sadly, I suspect this is now out of print. Plenty of cheap second hand ones out there, and let's face it, somebody else's turmeric stains on a page just makes you look like an expert cook, who has done everything in there.
on 10 October 2010
One thing i have noticed about this author is that her measurements are spot on! I have been through many books and watch a lot of cookery programmes and when it comes to Indian/Pakistani cooking, other people add WAAAAYYYY to much spice!
I love this book, and between me and my best mate we tried out several recipes. The only down side is that it doesn't have many recipes...
It's got, starters, main, dessert, fish but a few of each. Also i would have preferred more pictures.

I bought the following fro amazon:

* Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery [Hardcover]
Publisher: BBC Books; 2nd Revised edition (7 Nov 2002)
ISBN-10: 0563488212 ISBN-13: 978-0563488217
And
*Madhur Jaffrey Curries [Hardcover]
Publisher: Ebury Press (2008)
ASIN: B001J8FQCO

And PEOPLE, they are the SAME book. EXACTLY the same recipes! Thank god my friend wanted it aswell. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sending one back. So be careful when ordering, or you'll pull a ME! :D

If you are a beginner get this book... But if you prefer to experiment and love cooking get her book that's called "the ultimate bible", it is FANDABATASTIC!
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 May 2016
I have been using this excellent book since the BBC broadcasts of 1982. The additional copy is for my daughter, who has already said how much it is helping her to prepare Indian food that satisfies both the parents and the two children who are both young.
Maybe it does not have the fashionable current dishes, introduced or discovered in the last 20 years, but it is definitive on what was the state of the art at the time of its writing.
on 12 October 2017
I have the hard back version and have had this book for many many years. If you only have one book on Indian food on your shelf this is the one to have. It covers everything and the recipes are delicious. I have many other indian cookery books but this one always comes out first and is the one I use 80% of the time. Some of the favourites in our house are Bombay-style chicken with red split lentils (and is so easy to make, plus leave out the chicken and you have an amazing dhal on its own), Chicken with cream, Tandoori style chicken, simple buttery rice with onion, Rogan Josh, Sour chick peas. For dessert carrot halva served on coconut icecream is wonderful.
on 19 September 2011
This book is fantastic. I have had it for several years and it is the cookbook that I use most in my kitchen. There is such a wide variety of dishes in it that it covers anything (curry related) I ever feel like cooking. I have to say that I think I am now addicted to curry and don't want to cook much else!

I used to use garam masala before I bought this book but now I feel confident enough to make up my own recipes using cumin and coriander powder - and the results are edible!

I love the quick recipes such as green beans cooked simply with mustard or cumin seeds. And courgettes with prawns.

One point I would like to make is that I feel Madhur Jaffrey sometimes goes about things in a long way in this book. For example, the recipe for spinach and potato curry uses frozen spinach which she defrosts, squeezes the water out of and then adds water to the recipe. I just cook the spinach from frozen with par-cooked potatoes and I think it achieves the same end but is much quicker and probably more nutritious too!

Recently I bought Madhur's new "Curry Easy" book and I don't like "Curry Easy" as much as this book, but I think she has simplified her style a lot since this book. I still love it!
on 9 March 2016
I've cooked several - they are all good. Not too spicy. The Dahl recipes have been a great success and the mincemeat and lamb with spinach. I have several Indian books and I like this one best. Not many pictures - but who cares!
on 28 December 2013
I'm an experienced cook and wanted to expand my Indian repertoire.
This book definitely did the trick. I've cooked 7 or 8 or the recipes so far several times and everyone of them came out spot on.
None of the methods are difficult to follow even for a novice. They do require access to a wide range of spices etc. which can all be easily found at any decent Indian/International grocery store. Don't use the generic supermarket or the Schwartz spices you get in the little bottles - they'll cost you a fortune. Go for the larger packets that are available in the Indian stores and some Asda and Tescos.

The book is beautifully presented and well written and would recommend it for all levels of cooks.
on 15 March 2018
ordered two copies of this book to replace my well worn/stained copy and an additional one for my son. The quality was better than expected. Essentially unmarked and undamaged.
on 8 January 2016
You can't go wrong with this book. Loads of delicious recipes (meat and vegetarian), especially the chicken. Simple to follow. Some illustrations but not as lavish as some modern-day books. There was one recipe I did not like (a sausage one, which seemed very out of place) but other than that book is great.
on 14 May 2016
This is my second version of the same book. The first I bought many many years ago and the pages got so dog eared I was delighted to find Madhur Jaffrey had reared a new revised edition. The lemony chicken is brilliant and a ferry island food.