2,366
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2013
As a Jack Reacher fan I was looking forward to being immersed in another gripping tale. Turns out that "never going back" might have been a better idea! Nowhere near up to standard.....sorry Lee.
on 7 September 2013
I was very disappointed with this book, I am sorry to say. I am dedicated Reacher creature, and I felt this book was pretty boring compared to the other Reacher thrillers. It lacked substance, especially after the build up in previous books about Jack heading to Virginia to meet the mysterious Major Turner. A bit of an anti-climax!! When I finished the book, I felt like `is that it?` sorry Lee Child, a poor effort from you this time round!! :(
33 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2013
I've read all the Reacher books and loved most of them. But the last few have definitely been going downhill. This one was tedious in the extreme. Clunky dialogue. I was so bored that I struggled to get to the end. Speed-read the last couple of chapters so really no idea what was going on at all.

I think Lee Child has sold out now - letting Tom Cruise be Reacher. And now he really can't be bothered to cobble together a decent yarn.

I shan't be bothering with the next one.
55 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2013
Writing this review I feel a sense of déjà vu as I said similar things about the previous book in the reacher series. I hate to say it but the books are getting worse and worse. I am amazed so many 5 star ratings have been assigned as this book is nowhere near as good as some of the earlier books in the series.

This book just descended into a cat and mouse affair for almost the whole book. Reacher evading captors. This time he had a sidekick. I don't want reacher to have a partner! I want him kicking ass on his own in desperate situation. The plot for this book was so thin andvdescended into one long chase. A ridiculous subplot which I won't mention.

Lee - please take a break and get back to the style of the books in the early days. I am full of admiration for what you've achieved and know I will keep reading these books hoping for a return to form
on 31 December 2013
This is the first really poor Jack Reacher novel for me. The plot was feeble and contrived. The story really plodded along, and the dialogue was often painful, juvenile and sometimes cringeworthy. For the first time, I thought Reacher was a bit of a muppet rather then the cool devil-may-care hero. I couldn't recommend this novel to anyone over the age of 13. Hopefully this isn't the end of Jack Reacher...
on 3 September 2013
I have read every Lee Child book over the past 15 years or so, and love them whether or not they're good. It's a bit like meeting up with an old friend: sometimes you have a good giggle, sometimes it's day-to-day mundane stuff. This is one of the mundane ones and I can't help feel he's getting a little bored with writing them.

The story is very thin and excessively implausible and the pace erratic. I know, reality is not where it's at with Lee Child, but with this one it was hard to suspend disbelief. I found myself struggling through to the disappointing end.

So, not his best, sadly. I'll go on reading him, but I do think he needs to pep it up a bit, give Jack a shake up, make the story the thing and surprise his readers occasionally maybe? If he goes on like this he's at risk of turning Jack into a parody of himself, a cartoon-like character who just does the same thing, over and over and over...
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2013
I have read all the Jack Reacher books and enjoyed them all to a greater or lesser degree. It seems to me that the author was under pressure from his publisher to produce a book and this is the result. There are a few mis-directions, which are not a problem because it adds tension, however he could have easily checked on a couple of points and sorted out the problem much quicker instead of driving/flying miles to different places. Also I easily worked out what they were importing long before he, and his colleague, did. The scene on the plane is a bit far fetched even by Jack Reacher standards. The ending is very weak. I was expecting the usual JR shootout with excess violence but it just fizzles out. Despite the above it was a good read with the usual JR action, plotting and violence but way down the list of my favourite JR novels.
on 3 November 2013
Ending was lame. Plot was a bit thin. Too little Reacher logic and a lot of aimless action. The Baldacci reference was writers arrogance. Lee Child's needs to remember it is his readers that make him famous.
on 10 November 2013
Way the worst Reacher.

Plods along listlessly, through a numbingly implausible plot, and depends on a central 'mystery' that anyone with half a brain will figure out 250 pages before Reacher. Ooh, what could they possibly be importing? Sadly leaves one feeling that Reacher's a bit slow.

All the baddies are pussies; none of them is remotely a match for Reacher.
Susan Turner turns out to be way less beguiling in the flesh than on the phone.

I've never read a best-selling thriller before where the concluding climax happens without the protagonist actually lifting a finger.
Therefore this is the worst-plotted and worst-edited best-selling thriller I've ever read.

What a shame; I love Jack Reacher, and judging by the evidence here on Amazon he's got the smartest and most eloquent fans.

And I'm not taking the mickey - Lee Child seems to be giving it up voluntarily.
on 25 October 2013
That's the last Jack Reacher I will be buying. A very weak subplot that was tired using all the previous clichés found in previous books. . Not good enough Mr Child from an author of your ability. Time for a new character as this one appears to have run his time.