1,030
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 August 2012
Lee Child's 16th Jack Reacher novel is set back in 1997, shortly before the events depicted in 'Killing Floor', the first book in the series, and covers Reacher's final days as a military policeman in the US army. It's a really good adventure for the character and reveals a lot about his past that's been secret before now.

Reacher is not quite the character we've come to know from the earlier stories - he's not yet honed his skills, and we see him picking up some of his trademark attributes in this adventure. It's a really interesting look at the character and I found Child's ability to adapt his writing to a different version of his character very fulfilling.

The plot as usual is full of action and the usual levels of violence, but I am slightly ambivalent about the ending. Child makes really good use of the setting he has created and despite the distance between the place I live and the small-town USA that he describes it comes across very realistically.

I've really enjoyed this book and having finally caught up with the series I am looking forward to plenty more to come.
on 22 April 2017
this a very good book to read, when you have time to kill like on a train,plane and if you are waiting for someone.
What can you say about a Jack Reacher novel that hasn't already been said, well written, exciting, lots of action, etc etc, this doesn't disappoint.

For those familiar with the Jack reacher character (if you're not, start by reading the Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1) I promise your be hooked, you are sure to enjoy The Affair, it takes a step back as far as the other books in it shows jack as a Military Police man rather than the normal Ex-Military Police man.

I enjoyed the book and have found with all the Lee Child books once I start I want to finish it, as the writing leaves so many unanswered puzzles that I am desperate to find out, which you always do at the end of the book.
Keep them coming Mr Child I look forward to Jack Reachers next trip.
on 24 March 2017
My first Lee child book but won't be my last.
A little bit too much description of army stuff and as I had to skip bits it didn't get five stars. But not bad.
on 6 May 2017
Bought this for my husband as he is a Lee Child fan. Thoroughly enjoyed it as usual. Arrived very promptly too.
on 29 July 2013
Like all Lee Child's books this one is very hard to put down. One thing or rather two things puzzle me. In some books Reacher always knows exactly what the time is yet in others he has to consult his watch or a clock. In some books he's a arithmetical and numerological genius but in others he's almost innumerate. Lee also makes many errors in his references to firearms.
on 3 April 2017
Lee Child knows how to write an amazing book. When I buy one I won't start it to the weekend, as I know I can't put them down.
on 4 May 2017
Jack Reacher books are always a great read.
on 12 October 2016
Have read all Jack Reacher books, this doesn't disappoint.
on 12 March 2017