on 20 May 2013
Bought this to see what all the fuss was about bringing children up. It was very good. Some nice tips in it and well written.
on 19 March 2012
I loved this book. I bought i when expecting my second child in order to try and avoid some of the parenting mistakes i made the first time round. A really enjoyable bedtime read. Has some useful tips on sleep, feeding and behaviour.
on 10 January 2013
Excellent book for any new mother who consents to read it
That book was needed indeed, good universal helping book!!!
on 21 March 2014
A good read if you're interested in another way to get your child on the right path of discipline and positive behaviour.
on 24 June 2014
i bought this book to use in my paediatric practice - loved it and just can wish i had it when my kids were really small!
on 3 December 2013
Pamela has obviously lived in France for a while and knows many French people. I don't think she thinks that everything is better in France. I'm sure that she does not defend the very low, even lower than in the UK, breastfeeding rates (she breastfed her own daughter for one year!) and short maternity leave. She just states that the French obesity rates happens to be quite low despite that. She also says that she gets tired of the "bonjour" ritual. However, she points out where French parents do better than others, the best example being how babies sleep through the night. I'm sorry but here in the UK, we have two-year-olds who still demand to be fed and/or rocked back to sleep every 3 hours at nights, and their mums (and dads) are pushed to the brink. What concerns me is when us French are reported to let newborn babies cry it out, as one of my friends understood. That is not what we do, nor what Pamela said we did. To me, letting a baby cry one minute to transition to the next sleep cycle or find his thumb has nothing to do with letting him bawl his eyes out for three hours.
I thought her book was balanced, depsite the title, and could recognise a lot of things from my home country.
on 15 August 2014
Excellent piece of writing. The tips are practical. Druckerman really engages my husband and I as the readers. Well done
on 10 March 2013
Some sensible, balanced parenting advice. As a psychotherapist with a good knowledge of baby and child development, and a fan of picking up a vulnerable baby when it cries rather than servicing your own selfishness, I liked the idea of The Pause, because this also teaches small children over 3 months to begin to have reasonable expectations of caretaking. Parents today have woken up to the fact that young children have rights and are NOT there just to be seen and not heard, but it's gone too far. Now, children have no boundaries, they rule the family and are going to grow into frighteningly dysfunctional adults. The French way seems to be what works. Really well written too.
on 27 February 2012
I really enjoyed this book - it was very well written and gave a great insight into french parenting techniques. I have a newborn baby so I will be using some of the tips in this book as my daughter grows older (I've already started using the 'le pause' technique which worked like a charm). Even if you don't agree with what's written, it's a really entertaining read!
on 2 December 2015
Fantastic book, wonderfully written! Funny, full of advice yet not pushy.Should be given to every pregnant women...