Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 April 2017
*slight spoiler alert - no names*
I read the sample and was like "this book is going to be terrible, I've guess the killer straight up - I'm only buying this to prove I'm right".
How wrong I was! I've never really read crime books, and I feel this is a good one to start with. I was wrong about the killer - which I LOVED because it made me love the book more.
I've never really watched the show so was good to read it without bias and character perceptions.
I do recommend this book to anyone wanting to get into crime books.
on 13 September 2017
Over all, I enjoyed this. The story was gripping enough for me to want to finish. However, I did find the focus on the medical details off-putting, particularly in relation to the murders. It seems odd that a woman writer could make such crimes against women the central focus of the book.

I was also put off by the author telling me something in one chapter and reminding me almost immediately in the next. This happened more than once in the early chapters. It was as if the author was writing a serial and not a novel. It reminded me of some American tv, where characters are used to remind each other, and the viewer, what happened before the ad break. It felt clumsy and patronising, as if the reader couldn't be trusted to remember.

I felt that the basic premise was cliched - although that may be because it has been used so often in books and tv shows since this book was written. The sub-plot of a cop falling for someone at the heart of the case is also a huge cliche, but I was pleased with how that relationship worked out.

I was put off by Rizzoli. Granted that she is belittled or ignored both at work and at home, but she appears to be driven by negativity. She also seems to have an inflated sense of her own importance. Throughout the book Moore is central, but suddenly we hear Rizzoli's thoughts - that she knows more about the case than anyone. No real evidence of this, except one scene where she obsesses over a map.

Rizzoli seems sure she is right, even when she does wrong and even when others suffer for it. She even puts herself at risk by not telling anyone where she is going when she follows a lead. Not only is this another cliche, but her behaviour often does not show her in the best light, even though or precisely because she is driven by the need to prove she is as good as others.

It felt as if Moore's earlier centrality to the plot was only in order to make Rizzoli shine all the more (no pun intended) when he is no longer central and she comes to the fore. It is as if Rizzoli has to overcome being sidelined by the author as well as everyone else so we will admire her all the more for succeeding.

It doesn't quite work. Not only does is the reader made to feel for Moore, but the sudden switch to a hitherto marginal and negative character feels forced.

In the end, although the case is solved, Rizzoli's heroism is subverted, this avoids a cliche ending, but it makes me wonder just what the author is saying about Rizzoli and about women: does the ending show female strength or weakness? Or is it meant to be ambiguous?

What is difficult to believe is that Rizzoli appears to suffer no professional consequences for any of her actions. (In the UK a police officer lost their job even though their rule-breaking resulted in a killer being caught.)

On the other hand, while I came to this from the TV series, which I like, I wish reviewers would realise that the books came first!

This is the "real" Rizzoli - the author didn't make Angie Harmon into a nasty person. The TV show softened both the character and the stories. That is what they do. It is highly unlikely that this book would make watchable television. People want likeable heroes. What is just about tolerable in print would be unbearable on screen.

Also, this IS a "Rizzoli and Isles" story, in that it is the first of the series - even if Isles first appears in the next book. Perhaps, when the author first wrote this she had not thought of Isles? Perhaps she always intended to bring her in later? Perhaps "Rizzoli and Isles" was put on this book, as a series title, by the publisher. It doesn't matter. The books should be judged for their content and not by anything else, certainly not by the TV show which, while very good, is something else entirely.
on 23 April 2017
A really well written and researched book. The author has a great deal if knowledge about anatomy and surgery, much of which comes through in this book. Although it's a Rizzoli and Isles book you won't find Maura here. This book is more of a prequel to the main event and does introduce the evil killer the surgeon.
I think it's very different to the series so if you're expecting a novelized version of the series then you've been warned. However Gerritson has put a lot into the autopsy scenes, which are quite life-like and yet you can understand what's going on without needing a medical dictionary.
on 17 April 2017
I truly feel in love with Gerritsen and Jane Rizzoli reading this book. Everything is great - the pacing, the characters, the plot. It just works. What I love the most, I think, is that the novel isn't centered around some big twist - which I feel a lot of crime novels are, And it doesn't make it any less exciting; on the contrary. You just follow the clues to the dramatic finale, and the ending is utterly satisfying. I love how she brings her own knowledge to the table, and how she is able to explain it in laymans terms. I'm not a native speaker, but I was able to understand all the medical lingo. A physician who happens to be a fantastic writer is a rare treat!
on 6 April 2017
Brilliant book & promptly bought the rest in the Rizzoli & Isles series
on 13 May 2017
The book that started it all. Wonderful read, real edge of your seat
on 1 May 2017
loved this. Rivited from start to finish
on 30 August 2017
Too gory to read on a regular basis
on 2 August 2017
all ok. arrived on time.
on 2 September 2017