TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 April 2016
Unlike some other reviewers I loved this just as much as the first 2 as it was a different "formula", if you like. Not only were Rizzoli and Isles dealing with murders and autopsies - but they were also going through turmoil in their love lives. The parallel story threads of the 2 women's personal lives explored how they both put up barriers to protect themselves from hurt. But were then stopping themselves from loving and being loved.

Yes, there was a bit of a loose end as to why the killer did what he did. But life is like that - everything doesn't always get resolved and wrapped in a neat little bow.

I couldn't put it down and, in between chores and gardening, read it in a day.
on 26 August 2015
Usually I 'discover' authors through finding one of their books in a charity shop, so seldom start reading at the beginning of their careers but I was so disappointed with so many of the well known crime writers that I did a bit of research and found Gerritsen; I am really glad that I did. I don't normally want to read too much about the character's private lives but after reading The Surgeon and The Apprentice, I was ready to know a bit more about them and the developments can lead to lots of different story lines. I am now looking forward to reading Body Double.
on 15 October 2011
The Sinner is the 3rd in Gerritsen's Rizolli and Isles series and it is definately no disappointment. Gerritsen gets to the heart of the matter and has attention to detail like no other crime novelist.

Rizzoli and Isles come together to solve the murder of Sister Camille and the attack of Sister Ursella in a local parish. A case that even has the famous tough skinned Jane Rizzoli scuirming.

Gerritsen highlights the conflict of science and faith masterfully between Father Brody and Dr Maura Isles who was raised catholic. Isles is a woman who wants and believes in the facts. She does not believe in 'miracles'. She simply believes that the facts can't have been looked at correctly. She is a woman who lives and breathes science. Where as Father Brody believes in his faith, even in his parish's darkest hour. He believes faith is what will get people through.

Rizzoli tries to remain as tough as ever in order to keep up her reputation. Rizzoli and Isles end up working closely, helping one another through the difficulty and horror of the case as well as the added complications of someone from Isles's past showing up and Rizzoli trying to deal with the after effects of her relationship with Gabriel Dean.

I highly recommend that all Tess Gerritsen fans read this. If you enjoyed 'The Surgeon' and 'The Apprentice', 'The Sinner' will not disappoint you.
on 20 August 2012
Checked out the reviews for this book before down-loading it. I nearly didnt get it as some of the reviews were so negative! However, i wanted to follow the series through in order, so i got it & iv just finished reading it; i have to say it is just brilliant! I couldnt put it down, every available minute reading another couple of pages! I loved the mix of the personal lives in with the plot, it was as interesting in the 1st half as the 2nd half, i could not believe it when i saw i had reached 80% it had just wizzed past! i thoroughly enjoyed it and would definately recommend anyone to ignore the negative reviews on this book and give it a read!
2 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2012
Another blinding book by Ms Gerritsen as part of the Rizzoli and Isles series, based on a female detective and pathologist. This series of books are best read in order, and whereas the previous ones were more centred on Detective Jane Rizolli, this one introduces us more to the life of Pathogist Maura Isles. Without giving too much away, Isles performs an autopsy on a woman who is the mirror image of herself, and this leads to a mission to identify who she is and what her past is......like the other Tess Gerritsen books, this was very hard to put down, and if there were more hours in the day and if one didn't have to go to work, I would of read this in one sitting, but not over my dinner.....shes better than Patricia Cornwell, and is a must read...
One person found this helpful
on 14 June 2017
After watching the tv series, had a job getting my head around Jane being 8 months pregnant and married and still chasing around after murderers,
but still readable if nothing else available
on 28 October 2012
There are very few authors where I pick up a book, and don't want to put it down, and Tess Gerritsen is one of them. Having read Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton and Kathy Reichs, this author is up there with the best. This book had me gripped from the very beginning, and I did not want to put it down. As part of the Rizzoli and Isles series, best read in order, this story is centred on the murder of 2 nuns in a convent. There are twists and turns, and the story keeps you on the edge of your seat until you turn over the last page. If you like suspense thrillers, with detectives on the chase, thrown in with autopsies and murdered nuns, this is definitely a book for you....
on 20 May 2017
I had actually read this story before but missed half of the story as I needed to find the truth. This time round I read every single word.. Tess is a master story teller.
One person found this helpful
on 15 May 2015
I have the advantage of having read the later Rizzoli and Isles books first. It is great to see the growing friendship between them from early on, and Rizzoli's complicated family and love lives getting more complex. The problem is Dr Isles is not yet fully formed as a character, she is so much more rounded and complicated in subsequent books. I highly recommend this as a promising early work which ( I guarantee ) will be improved on.
on 22 October 2015
Personally I prefer the Tess Gerritsen books to the tv series ,body double had me fooled as to the second party killer . Bodies bits of body mayhem and murder loved reading it . if you want to know who did what to who and to why well here goes , read the book your self .I intend to buy the entire series of Rizzoli and Isles . Ms Gerritsen keep up the good work :