Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 March 2017
I tend to always download the sample and if a book draws me in I will buy it and this book had serious potential. It wasn't exciting, it didn't make me want to stay awake all night to finish it. It was just bleugh. Like most people have mentioned the main character is boring and unremarkable.
on 13 October 2008
I was recommended Storm Born by Amazon, because my 'purchased' list is full of paranormal/fantasy novels, and pretty much ever cover has a semi-naked or tightly-clad female on the front...so yup, I was interested in Storm Born.

I've never read anything by Richelle Mead before, so I looked up her previous works and she has a series about a succubus - a demon who very much likes sex as far as I can work out, which didn't appeal to me as much.
The blurb for Storm Born made it sound like it was yet another story about a Heroine magical powers that she uses for good, but oh wait, she's pretty hot too and everything in sight wants to get into her pants (because of some prophecy about her first born child)...uh and she has a hot sexy love interest.
Now, I like fantasy romances as much as the next girl, but I also like there to be a plot and some originality surrounding the Heroine and her single/many conquests, so this put me off and I didn't look at Storm Born again until a few weeks later when I was desperate for something to read. Still not 100%, I looked up Mead's website, read a few excepts, liked what I was reading and took a risk...

Needless to say, It IS a book about a Heroine with powers she uses to save the world/okay maybe just a few people, but there is something...different about this novel. I grew very absorbed very quickly, and I found it pretty original in an already swamped market with very similar books. There's a plot, and a good one too, interesting and engaging second characters, two love interests for the Heroine, some nice power-wielding and some exciting encounters with the bad guys. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

Richelle Mead is a talented writer who makes her world believable and yet still otherwordly and dangerous at times, and personally I can't wait for the sequal. I'm even tempted to read her series about sex-loving demons :) (the first of which is SUCCUBUS BLUES I do believe, if anyone is interested)

I definitely recommend this book and I think most fantasy/action/romance lovers will enjoy it. My only words of warning is that there are some very hot sex scenes, so anyone with more delicate sensibilities might not enjoy Storm Born as much as I did.
33 Comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2008
I have read other works by Richelle Mead and enjoyment of those books inspired me to pick up this one- I am glad that I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it original and fun to read, with wry humour in places as well as sensitive writing on more emotive subject matters. Well deserved 4 stars.

The book is set in an alternative reality where our world exists alongside a well established otherworld inhabited by what we would call Fairies (not the tinkerbell sort exclusively, I mean magical beings similar to humans) Our heroine is a shaman who keeps the nastier variety out of the human world and is happy with her lot, until the plight of a 14yr old girl spirited away by fairies entices her into entering the 'otherworld' to try and get her back. Doing so exposes things about herself and her possible future that shake up all her expectations and beliefs.

Well written, well rounded storyline with a good central character and the promise of future books without leaving the reader disappointed with an annoying cliffhanger meaning the book is wholly unresolved. Excellent
on 6 September 2008
Richelle Mead has a very readable style. Although her books look like lots of others in this genre, indeed they often follow similar patterns in terms of plot and action, this author's ability to write in an interesting and well-paced style marks these books above many others. This latest book, 'Storm Born', takes a break from her Succubus series and introduces us to a very different heroine - Eugenie Markham - living in a different world. Eugenie is a powerful shaman, someone who banishes the gentry (spirits, fey and otherworldy beasts) to the Underworld or the Otherworld. She's been trained by her stepfather Roland to help dispose of the odds and ends that can irritate people's lives - running shoes that are possessed, that kind of thing. However Eugenie has begun to find that things seem to be different in her world. For a start, most of the spirits and fey seem less interested in killing her and more in romancing her; secondly they all seem to know her name now; and, thirdly, the hot man she's just met is definitely something out of the ordinary.

Eugenie is discovering that there's more to her than she originally thought. Is she destined for something rather more than just exorcising spirits? With the help of her very reluctant and potentially murderous bound spirits, with her rather foxy boyfriend, with a fairy King who has an unusual taste for tying people up, can Eugenie uncover her full powers and can she understand her role in the history of war between the gentry and humans?

This book appeared to be the first in a series in that although it reached some sort of a conclusion there were many ends left open. The focus of the story wasn't just on Eugenie's powers and battling against evil spirits but was also about Eugenie learning about herself and reading other people. The book focused a great deal on the fairy King Dorian and his training of Eugenie. The author wrote well the way that everyone involved in Eugenie's life has their own reasons for doing things and that she doesn't necessarily understand all the politics of the worlds in which she is living. There are plenty of secrets, many of which Eugenie hasn't yet uncovered, and there are reasons for peoples' actions that she doesn't understand. What stood out about this book wasn't so much the plot or the characters, although they were good, it was the author's ability to write in a flowing, interesting and descriptive style. It was easy to get drawn into this story and it was never boring. I look forward to the next in the series.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008
on 27 August 2009
Eugenie Markham is a powerful shaman who works a bustling trade banishing spirits and fairies who cross into the mortal world. Eugenie is soon hired to rescue a teenage girl who has been abducted into the Otherworld. However there is far more going on here than just this case... Eugenie comes face to face with a startling prophecy -- one that uncovers dark secrets about her heritage and claims that Eugenie's first-born will threaten the future of all the worlds.

This novel was very mixed for me. On the one hand it was quite atmospheric and a little unusual in the shamanism concept -- although the plot was something done a million times before (and better for that matter). I did like it. But on the other hand, I felt that the plot arc was far too unfocused and all over the place to really be as compelling as it could have been. Mead spread herself too thin trying to do everything at once; revealing Eugenie's heritage, bringing in Storm King prophecies, having Eugenie avoiding rape by various gentry all through the book, a love triangle that sees her questioning the mens' true motives, the spirit servitor Volusian continually threatening to kill her etc etc. There's a lot more but that would be spoilery. I wish Storm Born had been condensed down because a few of these plot threads: the Volusian one, the motives of Dorian the fairy king, and the Storm King prophecies were all most interesting and would bear the most fruit plot-wise. All these and the political intrigue kept me reading and they're the things I want to see expanded. Unfortunately, all these plotlines get bogged down here in too much domestic chore and mundane inanities. I liked the inclusion of Eugenie's relationship with her parents but this was left hanging at the end of the novel a little, after Eugenie was angry with them for keeping her past a secret. It was frustrating.

I'm in two minds as to whether I want to read the next novel. I've read Mead before so I know she tends to favour romance, and I'm not interested in that here. The plot could be excellent but I'm not sure I trust her to flesh out the various characters and plot arcs when there's boring love interests to be featured. That said, I do really like Dorian -- he's kind of funny. Eugenie was ok. I found her a bit whiney sometimes but she did get on with things eventually.
on 2 July 2011
Four and a half stars. I really enjoyed this.

There are big changes afoot for Odile Dark Swan, a.k.a Eugenie Markram, in this book, and it's a lot to take in all at once, but she seems to be coping okay so far. I like the world, or rather, worlds that Richelle Mead has created here and I can't wait to see how the prophecy unfolds.

I'm not quite sure what I think of the two men in her life at this point. I kind of like them both, but also there's a bit of trepidation, I'm not sure how much I trust either of them yet. It's probably too soon to say. There was a surprising number of sex scenes in this book. Quite often a first-in-a-series urban fantasy book doesn't have any so it was quite steamy for a UF.

All-in-all a great read. Recommended
Having been a fan of Richelle's Succubus series I was really expecting something from this latest offering. However if I'm going to be blunt here, Richelles book just faded into bland for me. Leaving me feeling as if I'd read a lot of the story before in other books, with similar prose and writing style. I just couldn't abandon this feeling as I read the whole story and whilst it hasn't hit the depths of some other authors in the Urban Fantasy genre with just a sexathon and looser plot than characters clothing it just didn't gel for the reader in me. Don't get me wrong, it is well written, it has good characters but it just didn't grab me and that's just a shame really.
on 6 November 2008
This is an excellent book for a variety of reasons. Firstly it creates a credible Otherworld of the Gentry or Fairies and a credible heroine in Eugenie. It gets interesting in that Eugenie has been brought up to hate the Gentry and view them as solely evil and worthy of slaughtering (which she has been very successful at). Thus when her view of the gentry is challenged as she gets to know some of them and uncovers some hidden aspects of her own past, the book lights up. A comparison would be to use racial hatred - she has been taught that it is right and good to be prejudiced and it is difficult to deal with the fact that the world doesn't divide into black and white or good and evil as she had thought. Add to this some great humour which starts with the possessed trainer, moves onto Tim, the fake Red Indian housemate, jigsaw puzzles (the bit where Eugenie admires the kitten jigsaw she has just made is priceless) and the Village People line up of people in her back yard and you have a very good novel. The excellent category is because it isn't full of over-written sex sessions (there are some).
It reminded me a bit of Jes Battis's Nightchild and Tanya Huff's Summoning series (mainly due to the humour).
I hope there is a sequel on the horizon sometime soon.
on 10 September 2008
This is a really very good book. It is set in much the same world as the Laurell K. Hamiliton Meredith Gentry series, and even the character has some similar attributes, in being half human, with undiscovered powers, but the similarities end there.

This writing style is very readable, what sex there is has a place, and is neither monotonous nor pointless, and the plot is not only well thought out, and well described, but continues throughout the book.

Really looking forward to the next one!
on 11 January 2012
I first read Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, after which I was hooked! I couldn't decide whether to read the Georgina Kincaid series next or whether to start the dark swan series. After downloading a sample of both, I chose the Georgina Kincaid series, as the dark swan seemed a little too much to get my head around. When I finally got around to reading the series however, I was immediately hooked after a few pages! There is a lot of hype about the other two series', but I think this one is DEFINITELY my favourite. It has a great mix of human and otherworldy characters, but with a heroine that totally kicks ass! As much as I love Georgina Kincaid, she wasn't much of a fighting character, so there wasn't a lot of action. I also found the romantic side to the series quite predictable. In the dark swan series there was a lot more action, yet it wasn't overdone, and Eugenie's love life was a lot more turbulent! I'm glad I saved this series til last :) Cannot recommend any of the books she has written enough, but this is a must read! I only wish the series was a bit longer! I've said series too much..